Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 13th, 2015 12:00

Alienware m17x R4 black screen

Hi lads,

Since a failed upgrade to Windows 10 my m17x R4 started having a stange issue.

It first started with a black screen and without even post or alienware logo. After some time off it started back up normally again. After that I've decided to create a Back-up from the msata drive but during that process the system suddenly shutdown and never started back up again :(

When I start the machine it shows nothing more than a black screen. Fans start spinning, no beeps or what so ever. I've connected a standalone monitor to the notebook but also black screen.

Removed the cmos battery and tried to powerdrain the system but no luck so far.

I don't have a clue what's going on and am running out of options. Please help a desperate alienware lover out. Thanks guys !

6 Posts

November 18th, 2015 08:00

Little update regarding this problem. The fans start shortly after power-up, run for a few seconds and then stop spinning. Not really sure if this is normal on the Alienware systems but thought give you a heads up about it. Anyone who can help me out?

November 19th, 2015 14:00

Hi Robert,

Have you tested the system without the battery and with the AC plugged in? It might be possible there is a power problem with the system.

6 Posts

November 20th, 2015 00:00

Hi Kevin,

thank you for your response.

I have tested the system without battery. Unplugged the battery, did a 30 second powerdrain and connected the AC adapter. Unfortunately nothing changed.

Strange thing is that yesterday the system just worked for about half an hour. I've checked the event log but no strange errors there. After 30 minutes the system suddenly shut down and didn't start back up again :(

6 Posts

December 8th, 2015 13:00

The problem still persists unfortunately. Anyone got a clue?? :(

6 Posts

February 7th, 2016 00:00

Thought I'd give a last heads up regarding this problem. Eventualy ended up at Dell Tech Support (out of warranty section). Send the laptop out and got a message that the mainboard was the problem. Research and replacement cost got up to 550,- euros.

No Events found!