Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 2nd, 2012 14:00

Alienware m17x r2 Gpu overheating issue

Hello i have the following problems with my M17x r2 5870m crossfire 940m i7 processor.So the left gpu idle temp is 54-65, 70 while watching videos.Room temp is around 20C .The right gpu is idling at 45.When i start playing D3 my gpus go to 100+C fps drops and becomes unplayable.I use the newest Ati drivers and cap profiles.I have reinstalled the windows once.The gpu fans start working at full speed when the temps go 90+ but that isnt doing much since they get 100+ in 50 seconds while using furmark benchmark..I use A10 bios version.No problems with the cpu at all runs max at 70C.The cards are at stock clocks i haven't touched anything.I dont even use windows aero and so on.The problem is not only playing diablo 3 but all other games,for example starcraft 2 and league of legends.I've watched youtube videos for the gpu temps and they aren't even passing 70C.Link to the video is here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YisvQNNhCXA.He is using 4870 Crossfire but i think this is the normal temp for 5870's too.I can't contact the I can't call expert from alienware since i live in Bulgaria.What shall i do?

30 Posts

October 3rd, 2012 02:00

1 more thingy i havent flashed the vbios of the video cards

October 3rd, 2012 09:00

Depending on how often you clean your laptop there may be dust clogged in your vents. If that's the case hot air expelled from the GPUs can cause overheating.

Check this article on how to deal with overheating.

You can also try to update your vbios, but if you do make sure you're running Dell's video driver first.

30 Posts

October 3rd, 2012 13:00

Isnt this going to brake my cards and is it going to cool them better ?

October 3rd, 2012 17:00

It won't break your cards as long as you're running Dell's driver. It's recommended to update your vbios with the new released version for improved stability but I don't think it was directly related to card cooling.

30 Posts

October 4th, 2012 14:00

Is there a way i can limit my gpus to go only to 80 procents max on each ?

30 Posts

October 4th, 2012 15:00

+ can it be due to using the ati drivers not the dell ones ?

No Events found!