i7 @ 1.73 Ghz

ATI crossfire HD 5870

500 GB HDD

6 GB ram 

i have latest CCC driver install,

im not playing game on battery lap,

i have cooler master cooling pad for gaming laptop under

im using the most updated graphic game profile for ATI card 

i am facing problem with playing any game. after 10 minutes playing, fps dropping really bad. It's happen for every game i play. Whenever Crossfire logo display on top of in-game windows, the game load really slow and really laggy while playing.  

First i believed that because of intel core is hot leading dropping fps so i brought a gaming cooling pad. However, the problem is still there. So i installed GPU-Z to see what happen and i found out that .

this was captured when i played Half Life 2 Episode 2 (2007 game)

CPU 2

GPU 1

only 1 graphic card is working while other will be kept at maximum 100MHz and 150 MHz

i did some research on the internet and most of them show that, the reason for this is because of the bug in Power Play . Please give me advice 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
trungtoto
1 Nickel

Re: Alienware m17x r2 Low fps, bug powerplay

i tried to use MSI after burner , AMD clock tool to disable power play but no result

0 Kudos

trungtoto,

Did you load the AMD HD5870m XT Vbios R281544.exe? http://dell.to/RyEnF8

0 Kudos
trungtoto
1 Nickel

Dear Chris.

Thank you for reply in such a short notice.

i have downloaded the driver that you suggested.

However, it showed that the driver did not allowed to be installed because of this error.

This VBIOS update is intended only for the following video card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870

After receiving that message, i went on to internet and saw a lot of complains of people using M17x r2 HD 5870M  who did not be able to install the Driver R281544. I follow the solution on the internet which suggest that i manualy flash the graphic card using ATIWinflash.                                                                                       

0 Kudos
trungtoto
1 Nickel

I went to www.techpowerup.com/.../Dell.HD5870Mobility.1024.100513.html to download BIOS profile for my laptop. I load the profile on ATIWinFlash and hit "program" button. The screen turn on and off for few time. After i restart the laptop. I test on games that i have problem running on. the performance seems to be improved.

i post up my steps for you to check as if they are correct

0 Kudos
trungtoto
1 Nickel

T

I notice that the Name appear as : ATI mobility Radeon HD 5800 Series . Not HD 5870

0 Kudos

That is normal for GPU-Z. It identifies the card by family. See here. Also the x8 thing is normal. The graphics card goes up to 16x, but the MXM slot in your laptop is only x8.

0 Kudos