Highlighted
yeshs1300019
1 Nickel

Alienware m17x system hangs and restart

Jump to solution

Hello everyone, I have a question regarding this alienware, I don't know what's troubling but whenever I run my laptop in battery mode it works properly for few minutes and then it hangs and restarts, and when when I use it in plugged in mode, it works totally fine, can someone please help me out in this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
anielkumar
1 Copper

RE: Alienware m17x system hangs and restart

Jump to solution

Hi, I GOT the solution for My New Alienware 17 R1 (Mid 2013).

Litterly I have spend around 4 hours to fix this issues.

My System Configuration is  2.4GHz Core i7-4700HQ processor, 16GB of RAM, Nvidia GTX 880M 8GBVRAM, and a 256GB solid-state drive plus 1TB hard drive.

full HD (1,920x1,080) 120hz 3D display and Blu-ray drive.

In My Alienware NO IGPU supporting by Intel due to having 3D display. As I told I have same problem ie In battery mode it works for few minutes and then it hangs and restarts, and when I use it in plugged in mode, it works fine.

My system Already Have A14 BIOS updated.

As I mention My system updated with New OS ie  win10Pro_64bit. For this In my System, I am using Nvidia Latest Driver Win10_64bit_version-361 . So My Nvidia Driver causing the problem in battery MODE. For this I just use the tool - WhoCrashed Home Edition 5.51 - for finding the crash and reboot issues while system run in Battery MODE. So After finding the problem I use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller version 15.7.2.0 for win 10 ) for Uninstalling the Nvidia driver Completely. After that I have Install the Nvidia Display Driver v359.06 for WIN10_64bit.

Now My system is running fine in battery MODE without any problem.

Thanks-

7 Replies
beamermt79
4 Germanium

Jump to solution

My first guess would be a bad battery.  It could be that the battery is not giving enough power to the system so the system crashes and then reboots.  Have you used the battery a lot and how old is the system?  Batteries only come with a 1 year warranty.

0 Kudos
anielkumar
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have same problem ie In battery mode it works for few minutes and then it hangs and restarts, and when when I use it in plugged in mode, it works fine. My system is Alienware 17 (mid 2013) GTX880m 8GB. Currently I have upgraded my OS to Win10Pro.

I am still looking for solutions for this problem . May be battery Problem But in BIOS battery status shows - Battery functioning Normally.

0 Kudos
yeshs1300019
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

If ur system is using the same old bios i.e. A13 then please update it from A13 to A14.. it helps to solve my issue

0 Kudos
yeshs1300019
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Naaah..its the bios problem.. my state was using old bios, I upgraded it to A14 and now its working fine.

0 Kudos
beamermt79
4 Germanium

Jump to solution

Awesome! Cheaper then a new battery lol.

0 Kudos
anielkumar
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi, I GOT the solution for My New Alienware 17 R1 (Mid 2013).

Litterly I have spend around 4 hours to fix this issues.

My System Configuration is  2.4GHz Core i7-4700HQ processor, 16GB of RAM, Nvidia GTX 880M 8GBVRAM, and a 256GB solid-state drive plus 1TB hard drive.

full HD (1,920x1,080) 120hz 3D display and Blu-ray drive.

In My Alienware NO IGPU supporting by Intel due to having 3D display. As I told I have same problem ie In battery mode it works for few minutes and then it hangs and restarts, and when I use it in plugged in mode, it works fine.

My system Already Have A14 BIOS updated.

As I mention My system updated with New OS ie  win10Pro_64bit. For this In my System, I am using Nvidia Latest Driver Win10_64bit_version-361 . So My Nvidia Driver causing the problem in battery MODE. For this I just use the tool - WhoCrashed Home Edition 5.51 - for finding the crash and reboot issues while system run in Battery MODE. So After finding the problem I use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller version 15.7.2.0 for win 10 ) for Uninstalling the Nvidia driver Completely. After that I have Install the Nvidia Display Driver v359.06 for WIN10_64bit.

Now My system is running fine in battery MODE without any problem.

Thanks-

yeshs1300019
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

hey aniel m still struggling with the same issue... i didnt updated my system to 10 coz my lan is not working on it.. is update has come for that? and yes.. can u pls send me each and every step dat how u did it (restart issue).. please help!!

0 Kudos