Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 15th, 2015 19:00

Alienware m18x R2 gives blue screen upon login - safe mode okay

Hi Alienware community, 

First-time poster looking for help. 

I have an Alienware m18x R2 bought in 2012. Everything has been fine so far but today when I turned on the computer I'm greeted by the login screen which has lines of rainbow pixels running across it. Then after logging-in the screen, it either goes black forever or it turns into a whole bunch of vertical strips forever or the I get the blue screen of death and the computer restarts.

Turning on the computer and going onto safe mode works. While in safe mode there is no screen pixel errors so I don't think it's a monitor issue. Safe mode networking works. 

Suspecting a graphic card issue - I tried to install the graphics card driver again - and I got an error saying 

AMD Catalyst Install Message - "Failed to load detection driver" - while on the Detecting graphics hardware stage 

or

"The computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software."

Log:

Existing Packages: 

PX Profile Update

AMD Catalyst Install Message 

AMD APP SDK Runtime 

AMD Display Driver 

HDMI Audio Driver 

Catalyst Control Center 

I was trying to download: AMD Radeon HD 6870M/6970M/7970M/6990M Graphics Driver and 

Intel HD Graphics Driver

I have the AMD Radeon HD 7970M 

Thoughts on what the issue is? 

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

November 19th, 2015 11:00

Hi and welcome to the Alienware Community,

Try flashing the system BIOS to the latest version (if you haven't already done so), click here for the download link. Are you using the video card drivers from the Dell site? Please confirm the model name for your AMD card.  

105 Posts

November 20th, 2015 15:00

Are you trying to install drivers while in safe mode?  That may be the issue, as I don't believe safe mode runs the required services to be able to operate installers properly.  Have you tried uninstalling AMD drivers?

Have you tried switching to discrete if on integrated or integrated if on discrete?  

2 Posts

November 20th, 2015 17:00

Thanks  - yes we are using the video card drivers from Dell's site. It's the AMD Radeon HD 7970M  

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

November 24th, 2015 08:00

Hi,

Try uninstalling both the Intel and AMD driver from Device Manager (also uninstall the software). Restart the system and install the Intel driver, restart the system again and install the AMD driver. Let me know how it goes.

No Events found!