Highlighted
spacetimedream
1 Copper

Alienware m18x (early 2011) Adapter disconnects while performing a CPU demanding task

I just encountered this behavior a week ago and it never happened before. Here is the steps to recreate the problem:

- I start up a game on Steam (Divinity: Original Sin).

- Have around 3-5mins of gameplay.

- The charger disconnects, the green light on it fades and in Windows it confirms that no charger is plugged in and my power plan switch to "not plugged in" plan.

- The charger will not light green again until I detach the cable from the charger (not the power source) and plugged back in.

I ran full diagnostics check on my system using Dell System Detect and my system passed all the tests including the CPU stress test. And for the duration of the test, the charger did not disconnect.

I thought maybe if the CPU is overheating it will cause the charger to disconnect but I ran the game again while monitoring the CPUs' temperature and it didn't go pass ~55C before disconnecting.

I ran another test where the CPUs' temperature go beyound 50C and reaching 65-70C for ~15mins but no disconnecting occurred.

Do you recommend checking or replacing the charger only or should I check the whole system?

0 Kudos
2 Replies

RE: Alienware m18x (early 2011) Adapter disconnects while performing a CPU demanding task

Yes it seems like the ac adapter is the one failing, so you can start the troubleshooting by checking  it.  

Alienware-Milena
Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
Cenobitez
3 Zinc

RE: Alienware m18x (early 2011) Adapter disconnects while performing a CPU demanding task

I had this problem myself, it was the power brick and the demand from the graphics cards. 

en.community.dell.com/.../20739633

Alienware M18x
Intel i7 960xm, 1tb Samsung 840 SDD, 256gb Samsung 830 SSD, Dual GTX 580 SLI, 32gb Corsair Vengeance Ram.

0 Kudos