Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 27th, 2015 21:00

Alienware software on new hdd

So, I just installed a new hdd in my computer to replace the one that had the is installed on it. I am currently in the process of cloning the drive which I hope fixes this problem but if it doesn't I hope to have some answers on here to maybe help me troubleshoot this. So it's actually a multiparty question. You need some background so you will understand what I am dealing with. I installed a new hdd and installed windows 10 from the Windows homepage however it was not activated the lady from Microsoft just told me to clone my drive. What I need is a way to have windows 10 on my new hdd and activated. But I also need help getting all the pre-installed alienware drivers put back on there and I need to know how to install with uefi. I apparently switched to legacy and it won't let me go back to uefi now. So if worse comes then I need to know how to install a fresh copy of Windows 10 with all the pre-installed alienware software in uefi mode. That's it!

Matt

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 28th, 2015 09:00

Hello Matt, 

From what I understand, you have Windows 10 activated on your previous Hard Drive but it’s not activated on your new Hard Drive and Microsoft suggested cloning the drives to fix the issue. The system drivers and applications can be downloaded from the Dell site, in the Drivers and Downloads section. If your system came with 3rd party pre-installed software, you should be able to download it by logging in to your Dell account and selecting My Dell Downloads. To switch to the UEFI boot mode, follow the steps below.

• Enter the Bios by tapping the F2 key during boot.
  • Select the Boot option on the top.
  • Look for the Boot Mode option and press Enter.  
  • Select UEFI and press Enter.

Let us know how it goes. 

16 Posts

August 28th, 2015 14:00

Ok well whenever I do the uefi boot it says something about searching for media and failing and then no boot device found...how do I fix it? It used to be uefi so I don't know what happened.

16 Posts

August 28th, 2015 14:00

I'm also guessing the clone didn't work since it shows windows loading then it just goes up to a black screen and stir there. There is literally no way around this nightmare all I wanted was to get a little more hdd space and it's killing me.

16 Posts

August 28th, 2015 16:00

so i am going to attempt to do a repair but something tells me that won't work so i'm going to have to reinstall windows 8 on my computer. But I can't seem to find the drivers for the Alien FX thing the lighting program and the other alienware specific drivers. Does the alienware generally come with drivers in the box? I do'nt remember also I didn't buy from dell directly i bought from amazon so I shouldn't have an account with dell which wouldn't have extra drivers on it for me. But I really need to figure out where the alienware specific drivers are. 

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 31st, 2015 16:00

Hi, 

The system drivers and applications can be downloaded from the Dell site, in the Drivers and Downloads section. The AlienFX software is part of the Alienware Command Center application which can also be downloaded from the Dell site (it is listed under the Application category). It doesn't matter if you bought the system from Amazon, you should still have a service tag that you can enter on the Dell site or you can look it up by the model type and revision. 

No Events found!