Highlighted
Wastedspacer
1 Copper

Alienware system check recommended BIOS update from A08 to A14 now my SSD is seen but will not boot - legacy HD boots using UEFI - nothing boots with "Legacy" HELP!! :(

After running the DELL system analysis service - a BIOS upgrade was recommended- here's the BIOS update in action:

Pre BIOS installation/reboot -

Running Windows 8.1 I cloned the barebones OS to an SSD last year but left the original HD with the old bootable partition as a secondary drive. 

The ePSA shows both drives but will not let me boot the SSD under  the legacy setting  will only boot the old HD under UEFI mode  

If I set the BIOS drive settings to Legacy then select the Intel SSD as the boot device and restart - all I get is a message saying "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

If I select UEFI and try  the SSD it boots from the original HD 

All system diagnostics are green!

ePSA test - shows all components functioning fine

Any assistance appreciated - how do I get back to booting from my SSD?

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Re: Alienware system check recommended BIOS update from A08 to A14 now my SSD is seen but will not boot - legacy HD boots using UEFI - nothing boots with "Legacy" HELP!! :(

you already figured out your Problem. you have two Boot Manager Partitions now. your PC picks first Boot Partition (Port 0). try following:

boot in UEFI Mode into your old HDD and disable Fast Boot in the Windows Power Settings.

then restart your System and hit F12 during Boot, pick your SSD and hope it boots correctly.

once you managed to Boot into your current Windows you should delete your old Boot Manager from your HDD. use CMD > Diskpart or 3rd Party Software like EaseUS Partition Master for Example. IMPORTANT! open Windows Disk Manager and make sure your SSD has it's own EFI-System Partition. if not, you can't Boot at all after you deleted your old Boot Manager.

or / and

try to turn on RAID Mode and see if you can Boot with your SSD.

Area 51-R2, BIOS A10, i7-5820K @ 4.0 GHz, Crucial Tactical 64 GB @ 2666 MHz, Titan X(P),

Samsung 960 Pro M2 SSD, Crucial MX300 SSD, 1500W Dell PSU, Win10 Home, Yoda USB Guard Smiley Happy

0 Kudos