Taomyn
3 Argentium

Re: Alienware x51 2 HDMi ports

Forgive this n00b question, but how does Optimus work with 2 physical HDMI ports?  Does it sense the nVidea HDMI is connected, but sends Intel graphics out the nVidea connector?

Nope, only works if you use the onboard HDMI - think of your X51 as a very powerful laptop inside a small PC case with a desktop graphics, Optimus and better expansion.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
rarewolf
2 Iron

Nope, only works if you use the onboard HDMI ...

I see ... is there also no need to be concerned with which audio device I may have configured my media player to use?  (... right now I am using nVidea HD audio, but I figure if I install the Intel drivers, an Intel HD audio device will also appear as an audio option)

Thanks for all your help ... I have a similar thread here, which as of yet has gone unanswered ...

0 Kudos
Taomyn
3 Argentium

Nope, only works if you use the onboard HDMI ...

I see ... is there also no need to be concerned with which audio device I may have configured my media player to use?  (... right now I am using nVidea HD audio, but I figure if I install the Intel drivers, an Intel HD audio device will also appear as an audio option)

Thanks for all your help ... I have a similar thread here, which as of yet has gone unanswered ...

This is what I see in my WIn8 Sound Manager:

1440.Capture1.PNG

The TX-SR875 is my A/V receiver that my HDMI connects to (for audio then on to my TV for video). Notice I disabled the Realtek as I don't use it and makes it easier to swap between the receiver and my headphones if I connect them.

In Device Manager I have this, but have always had one permanently disabled, perhaps it's the nVidia one:

3821.Capture2.PNG

And in the nVidia Control Panel there is no sign of audio:

2086.Capture3.PNG

0 Kudos
rarewolf
2 Iron

After installing the newest NVidia and Intel drivers, my sound devices haven't changed ...

0068.audio-devices.jpg

The Sony TV is actually connected via my AVR as well.  I thought I saw where the Intel driver included HD audio drivers, but they don't show in the list of audio devices.

Also, Optimus is apparently not installed on my X51 Win8 computer.  Does it need to be enabled or activated?

0 Kudos
Forcedexile1
1 Copper

it's always better to use a dedicated graphics card for gaming. as for your question i have no idea.

0 Kudos
Taomyn
3 Argentium

After installing the newest NVidia and Intel drivers, my sound devices haven't changed ...

The Sony TV is actually connected via my AVR as well.  I thought I saw where the Intel driver included HD audio drivers, but they don't show in the list of audio devices.

Also, Optimus is apparently not installed on my X51 Win8 computer.  Does it need to be enabled or activated?

In your BIOS what is set as the default graphics? If it's set to Discrete then I'm pretty sure this will disable Optimus

0 Kudos