Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 19th, 2015 09:00

Alienware x51 R2 - 240W - Graphic Cards?

Hello.

I've been looking for a new graphic card to replace my 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645 for some time now, since the newer games is movie away from the "Runescape" graphics ;).

I've been looking over a lot of threads, and even tried to contact Dell directly, getting them to send me a mail of the graphic cards I can have in my current computer. I didn't get specific answers though.

So I was wondering if you guys could help me out :).

My current Alienware X51 R2 is running on:
A 240W power supply
A EURO 250V Power Cord
A 4th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4430 Processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.2GHz with Turbo Boost Technology)

Now for the TL;DR

If I want to swap out my 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645 with the best GPU possible, what should I go for?

The budget of the card is no matter, but I would like not to go for a new Power Supply or cord, if possible :).

//Dennis Plettner

727 Posts

October 19th, 2015 11:00

• GTX 650
  • GTX 750
  • GTX 750 ti

A GTX 950 may be possible, but it's up to you if you think it's worth getting since it is the most powerful of the four I listed. The AMD options that'll work with the 240w PSU don't have a price:performance ratio that the Nvidia GPUs have or could be recommended.

If you have an "unlimited" budget, why do you resist on wanting a bigger PSU (there's only one to choose form, and thst's the 330w PSU for the X51 and Alienware laptops)?

4 Posts

Ah, awesome :)

The main reason I don't want to switch out the PSU is because that I don't know how to get it out of the PC :p. I mainly just switch out parts like GPU's and CPU's :P Never tried switching out a PSU :p. I'm afraid to break something :p.

Thanks a lot for answering the question though :)! Wonderful response time aswell :)!

4 Posts

Oh, one quick question :P. Any specific model of the "GTX 750 ti" card that I need to go for :)? I see it's made in several styles :p.

727 Posts

October 19th, 2015 13:00

1. The PSU is outside the X51, not inside it. It's the brick outside the computer. It's also a laptop charger for Alienware and Dell laptops.

2. Just get one that isn't overclocked and has a single fan.

4 Posts

October 20th, 2015 08:00

Ah, duh :P I knew that, just had to wake up I guess :D.
Ah well, thanks a lot :)! You've been a wonderful help :)!

No Events found!