BeastlyTaco
1 Nickel

Alienware x51 R2 Three-Monitor setup not working?

I've just bought the Alienware x51 R2 and say I love it. But there a problem setting up mt three monitors, only two of them work.

The Graphics card on it is a GeForce GTX 645

First monitor Hooked up through a HDMI > DVI Cable works just fine, the HDMI Is from the video card.

Second monitor hooked up through a DVI > VGA Cable > Monitor And that too, works just fine.

The problems start with the Mini-DP. The third monitor is plugged in, and hooked the the computer through the Mini-DP (Graphics card) > Vga > Monitorand that does not work. The computer doesn't even recognize that there is a monitor there. 

Here is the cable I bought. It is the exact same, but white. 

So Far, I have

-Switched the monitors around to make sure they all work. (They do.)

-Checked to make sure the cable was snug and in  place, everything hooked up. (It was.)

-Changed all my graphics settings to high performance.

-Went to the control panel, tried to see if there even was a DP option or some sort of thing like that. I also tried messing around with the resolution, as some troubleshooters said for me to do that. (Yes, the NVIDIA control panel as well.)

EDIT: I looked at the mDP > VGA and it is apple hardware, but there is no difference. I was poking around and it seems like the hardware would work just the same.

Does anyone have any clue how I could fix this? It would be very much appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

RE: Alienware x51 R2 Three-Monitor setup not working?

What specific video card?

It is the exact same, but white. 
* White usually implies that the device is for apple hardware.

First monitor Hooked up through a HDMI > DVI Cable works just fine.
* HDMI from where? The upper chassis HDMI or the lower video card HDMI?

Second monitor hooked up through a DVI > VGA Cable.
* Lower video card DVI to VGA to VGA cable to monitor VGA port.

Third monitor, mDP from lower video card to mDP to VGA to VGA cable to monitor VGA port?

0 Kudos
BeastlyTaco
1 Nickel

I updated the post with the information you asked.

0 Kudos

Power the computer and all monitors off. Disconect all three monitors and their cabling from the computer video card. Connect only the white apple DP to VGA converter to the DP port on the video card via the mDP to DP cable. Connect the VGA to VGA cable from the converter to one monitor. Power on the one monitor and then the computer. If that single monitor does not work, then you know the culprit is the apple device.

computer video card mDP --> mDP to DP cable --> apple DP --> apple VGA --> VGA to VGA cable --> monitor VGA

0 Kudos