Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 19th, 2013 07:00

Alienware x51 r2 not always waking from sleep.

Hi guys, I seem to have this really weird issue where occasionally my x51 r2 wont always wake from sleep. I have to hard reset the tower every time to get it back on, but it only happens every couple of day.  I have it connected to a Samsung SA23A950 via a full size display port cable. I have the latest drivers installed, I have also tried the latest beta drivers and older drivers and the problem persists.  I had a search on google and this forum but it doesn't seem like anyone has had this exact issue, would anyone have any ideas of where to start? cheers. 

750 Posts

August 19th, 2013 10:00

Hi

Welcome to Dell community!

May I know if your computer has Windows 7 or Windows 8 installed? Please follow the below mentioned steps to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Click “Start”, type “Power Options” and press enter (if Windows 8, press Windows key + X key together for Power User menu and click “Power Options”)
  2. Click “Change plan settings” next to the power plan that is active
  3. Click “Change advanced power settings” in the next window
  4. Expand “Sleep” and set “Hybrid Sleep” to “Off”
  5. Expand “USB Settings” and set “USB selective suspend setting” to “Disabled”
  6. Click “Apply”, and then click “Ok”

Do let me know the results.

3 Posts

August 19th, 2013 18:00

Thanks for the reply, have changed the settings, I will post back in a few days to ensure the issue is resolved.

750 Posts

August 20th, 2013 05:00

Hi

You’re welcome. Observe the computer and let me know the issue status.

August 20th, 2013 12:00

Hi Fullblown,

You can try performing a clean installation of the video card driver. If you want to upgrade the video card driver, try Nvidia's latest WHQL or the latest beta driver although we haven't tried them on this system.

Also, changing the virtual memory should work. Checkout this article from Microsoft.

3 Posts

August 25th, 2013 19:00

I have tried a full re-installation of the drivers, ive also tried using the geforce experience for driver updates. It is still persisting, I even put my page file up to to no avail. I tried using a seperate dual link dvi cable for a while, but it also does it with that cable. Im lost on where to go from here.

When i try to resume the computer from sleep, the computer is still working, I can hear all my programs shut down if i reset the tower. Its not that big of a deal because it runs great apart from that, its just annoying not knowing if my computer is actually faulty.

750 Posts

August 26th, 2013 06:00

Hi

Issue appears to be due to drivers conflict and the only option available is to restore the computer to factory settings. This will lead to data loss. Please back up important data. If your computer has Windows 7 installed, refer the following article about using AlienRespawn Backup and Recovery: http://dell.to/1dVsjns

In the article, under “Using AlienRespawn in Windows 7”, please click “How to recover your original factory software” for instructions to restore the computer to factory settings.

No Events found!