Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 5th, 2010 23:00

Am I messed up? (Warrenty question)

I've been meaning to call and extend my warrenty but I just noticed it said it expired the 15th of last month under my service tag on Dells site. There was something wrong with my original Aurora and I did not recieve this one until February 16. I was under the impression since I did a system exchange my warrenty should be expiring in February.

Anyone have any idea?

2.4K Posts

December 6th, 2010 00:00

I think you can still buy the extended warranty even if yours is expired so long as the system is not older then the max warranty they sell.

If you had the PC for 5 years and the max they sell for that system is 4 years you can't buy one. If you had the system for 3 years and the max they sell is 5 years then you can.

I believe this is how it works.

December 6th, 2010 01:00

Yeah, what Morblore wrote is right i think.

I looked into the warrenty and what it offered/terms when buying my system and as far as i am aware you can choose to extend it after the warrenty period with the above applying, and other things such as the system not being damaged (e.g. you can't buy a warrenty extension to cover damage that your system has incurred in the period that it didnt have a warrenty)

December 6th, 2010 06:00

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 6th, 2010 08:00

That was more cut and dry. He was outside of warranty by 10 months. Yours is just out. Call them and see what they say.

76 Posts

December 21st, 2010 11:00

They wanted $300 to renew it for 1 year. Does that make any sense? It was originally less than $300 for 3 years when i first bought it. I was expecting $200 for an additional 2 years.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 21st, 2010 12:00

They wanted $300 to renew it for 1 year. Does that make any sense? It was originally less than $300 for 3 years when i first bought it. I was expecting $200 for an additional 2 years.

With customers calling in for support on every little problem (ie MIO Boards) or because something doesn't over-clock well ... Parts and field labor costs are going up (sky-rocketting from what you report).

Part of this is because their field techs don't troubleshoot problems (only phone techs do with customers as "eyes and ears"). Many software problems get mis-diagnosed as hardware ... but hardware gets swapped and the software has to be reloaded anyway ... so it only "looks" like the hardware was bad.

I think it's also because some machines were config-ed and sold with inadequate power-supplies ... so lots of service calls are generated and parts swapped from that.

Who do you think pays for all those warranty "complete machine swaps" we read about here?

94 Posts

December 21st, 2010 19:00

yes,, tesla is right about that for sure,,,last month i purchased 2 more years of service but didnt know that hardware support was NOT included,,so i had to buy the service that did include limited hardware warranty....so now for only two more years of extended warranty coverage im into it for $900.00..     i also made sure i got north american support,that might be where some of the cost factor is!                      hey!!!! but i did get a gift card!!!!!

merry christmas  everybody.....

76 Posts

December 23rd, 2010 09:00

Too bad that now i'm going to be too scared to update my bios in fear that i'll fry my system and not be able to get it replaced.

No Events found!