Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 20th, 2017 11:00

Area 51 ALX PSU Upgrade

I've replaced my 2 AMD 6950 GPUs for a AMD 7990 and have recently found that the computer will reboot suddenly after about an hour of use. 

I belive the PSU to not be powerful enough for the 7990. 

Has anyone swapped out the PSU on an alx and can normal PSUs be used and how easy is it to do with the mechanism the case uses to eject them?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

August 21st, 2017 10:00

Hi ‌,

We will recommend at least 1000W PSU. You can get all the steps on how to replace the PSU in our service manual online. 

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

August 21st, 2017 10:00

***cable combo example ylw + wht >< other example might be blu + ylw

Do u have the 1000w 1100w or 1200w? Can u post a photo of how you have 7990 connected? ***It needs to be connected with two different color of cables (each color is on its own 18amp 12volt rail)(two colors = 36amp) Have you looked into an EVGA PowerBoost!, it might help

Fastest easiest way is to purchase the 1200watt (search eBay = VHM5V KGTGV); VHM5V was shipped with dual 6990s (375w each), the assumption would be that on paper it runs a solo-7990. Unplug the 66pin black bulk connector from the one u have there, let the lever down, back the chassis out, transfer the new one to the caddy if needed, and pop it back in. This makes for a 5minute swap

The difficult way is to purchase an aftermarket 'normal' power supply, where over the course of a few hours you disassemble your case to remove the old wiring harness and install new harness. From there u need a hand-made AlienFx MIO Daughterboard cable, make it yourself or have someone make one for you.

Area-51 ALX: the Alien Transplant

Alienware Area 51 (R1) SkyLake Processor / Motherboard / EVGA 1600 P2 Power Supply Swap

The ALX-Files: On a Practical Approach to the Area 51 R1 Aurora Power Supply Swap

I've helped 56 owners do their swap using hand-made cables, and performed 5 or 6 here myself, find me on eBay, search term = Alienware power supply swap ... member name = Drago_Bludvist

Again 1000 1100 1200? Photo?

August 21st, 2017 11:00

Hi 

I'm not sure on what pus I have, although I thought it was a 1000w one. I have used both the cables that was supply my 6950s and connected them to the 7990. Ideally I'd like to put a decent normal psu in the pc as the Dell ones are all old now. 

I had a look on eBay and you don't currently have any items for sale? (I'm in the UK) How much do you charge for all cables?

Realistically how hard is it to input a norma psu in and can it get airflow inside the bracket?

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

August 21st, 2017 13:00

I can visit eBAY/UK with a simple google search & click the link; perhaps u can try eBay/USA and find my two listings. I don't list in the UK anymore. Shoot me a private message through the forum here or eBay messages if u prefer. Cables are typically $40-$50/mailed in the US, UK will normally add +$15-$20 for postage, whatever the current rate is. On an aftermarket chassis the psu fan faces up & there is plenty of room, most people put a dust filter over the fan. Swapping requires disassembly & temporary removal of your case components on both sides to remove old harness & install new. So long as you're careful & take your time, it's a couple hours of taking things out & puttings things in, difficulty level is relative & hard to judge. Treat all your components like they're worth their weight in gold & do not become consumed by frustration & you'll be ok. Search uTube for these videos + PDFs I linked u to:

• Moving my Gaming Rig into the Alienware Area 51 R1 
  • Legacy Area-51: Disassembly

Invest in EVGA Powerboost, see if it helps

To quickly find out which PSU model u have (what it was originally shipped / ordered with), visit Area-51 support page, input your Service Tag (white label on rear of case) > System Config > Original Config > Components > Chassis:

• Standard = 1000w >< 1.1 = 1100w >< 1.2 = 1200w

otherwise, back the chassis out, unscrew it from caddy & read the specifications label. The 1000/1100/1200 should support one 375w card, so long as two different cable colors are plugged into it

August 21st, 2017 15:00

I'll try and do that soon. 

Having just watched a video on YouTube of someone disassembling the case they've suggested that the motherboard does not provide adequate power for a larger graphics card, I believe the tougher has the same card as me. 

Could this be the problem and not the power supply? 

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

August 21st, 2017 16:00

hun uh. Wolfie ran an AMD 295 x 2 (500watt card), Alienware sold these with DUAL 6990s (375watts x 2), Insanity successfully ran his 7990 (1200w part# J297R + EVGA 6pin -to- 8pin y-split cables)

Again, EVGA PowerBoost! may or can improve delivery of 12v to the card - so much so - that I recommend one for every Area-51 owner with original X58 mthrbrd, regardless of the Grfx card u own, to reduce any strain / bottleneck on the circuits bound up with the 24pin ATX 12volt wires to PCI-E slot(s); it's an inexpensive way to treat your hardware right & may help prevent shutdown issues. A forum member here had issues, tried Powertboost, issue resolved, which is how we learned about them, from the forum here. It worked for some, didn't work for others (where a psu swap was the cure). Even if you swap power supply for more robust aftrmrkt type, I would still tell u to buy a PowerBoost!, which is a type of shortcut to 12volts fed off of a different 'rail' (when using original PSUs)

Did u run your SrvcTag or pull the chassis out, to figure out what u have in there

August 25th, 2017 01:00

To update this issue, after lots of troubleshooting with the help of Cass-Ole, we have discovered it is not my psu at fault but the motherboard restricting the power output into the gpu. 

I am going to install an EVGA power boost to level out the supply and purchase a less power consuming card (hopefully a 1070) I may also buy a Y lead to joint the gpu power cables from the PSU to allow more power to be used by the gpu if needed. 

I will update this with hopefully successful results. 

September 8th, 2017 10:00

An update to confirm what's happened. I have swapped my 7990 for a 1070, and installed an evga power boost. Both appear to be perfectly working and I've had no random restarts as yet. I'm not using a y lead as so far I've had no issues. 

Thabks again to cass ole who has been extremely helpful. 

103 Posts

September 8th, 2017 22:00

Try a Corsair PSU maybe? I am not promoting it, but you have a valid reason to get a high-end PSU. Plus, this solves your wiring problem.

No Events found!