Highlighted
RavyDavy
1 Nickel

Area 51 AlienFX problem, no lights and fans running all the time

I bought my Area 51 last year, and its been great up until last week.

I was in the Command Centre and noticed the updater saying it had a new update for me.  Accepting this, the new download extracted etc and started installing.

However, when it got to Removing Backup files stage, a new small window appeared with the AlienFX bootloader update, with a moving bar.   Unfotunatly, this didn't actually didn't do anything and was still sitting there hours later, unchanged.  I was forced to kill this via task manager. 

Upon my next bootup, I noticed all my lights were dark, and my fans didn't slow down like they usually done, they are at about 50%-60% at a guess.

The AlienFX update also tries to run every time I log in now, but with the same result as before, i.e it sits there and doesn't do anything, even after an entire day of leaving it alone.

I've gone into the Diagnostics just at bootup, and got the message: 0F00:133C under the Express Test, and under the Master I/O board, it has a message saying the board is in "Firmware Download Mode"

Whilst following a few other suggestions on these boards, I now have a new error under diagnostics, Error Code 5D00:0009 UTUSBTM - Device_initialization_failure - user must reattach unit on Root Hub Port 2 and re-start test. and now have a yellow explanation mark under Device manager, and my Card Reader has disappeared from My Computer.

Any other suggestions as what to try Smiley Sad

Thanks

David

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

Re: Area 51 AlienFX problem, no lights and fans running all the time

Try Power Reset fix and jumper fix:

en.community.dell.com/.../19888030.aspx

It's too late now, but in the future, don't use the Upgrader inside CC.

Disable Anti-Virus

Completely uninstall CC

Shut-Down

Do Power Reset dissipate procedure

Install new CC (cross-fingers)

Reboot

Enable Anti-Virus

Make minor config changes and test CC

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Gaming when I'm not programming.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
RavyDavy
1 Nickel

Followed your steps there, and the noticed the Power Reset Dissipate Procedure brings back my card reader, and gets rid of the unknown device in device manager.

However, it seems to stuck on installing again, below is a screenshot of the bar.

I do notice under task manager, its AlienwarAlienFXTester.exe that seems to be the process that's running all the time.

7028.alienware alienfx message 001.png

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

If the MIO-Board tests in Dell Diagnostics pass now ... try a Windows Restore Point from a day before you tried to run the CC upgrade. That should fix the CC install process that is still running.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Gaming when I'm not programming.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
RavyDavy
1 Nickel

Will check the diagnostics again when i get a chance, but I just checked the Restore Point settings there, and unfortunately my oldest point is from the 2nd November (yesterday).

0 Kudos