Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 27th, 2010 20:00

Area-51 Chipset Driver

Hi, I just reinstalled Windows 7 but I've been told that I need to install the chipset driver first. I don't know which one though:( Can you guys kindly provide me with a link so I can continue with the driver installation? I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 27th, 2010 22:00

Here you go:

This is how I do it:

Unplug everything except keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

Install Windows-7 (64 bit) first.

Install latest Dell drivers (from support.dell.com ... for your Service Tag) in this order:

Intel Chipset
Video Drivers
Realtek Audio
Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet (optional if using Microsoft bundled drivers instead)
eSATA Driver (Silicon Image-SIL or JMicron)

AlienWare Command Center

None of the Intel Storage (RST) stuff is really required (if not running a real RAID setup). Otherwise it's optional.
Once installed, it replaces the Microsoft HDD driver and cannot be uninstalled or removed.

21 Posts

September 27th, 2010 23:00

Thank you very much for step by step explanation Tesla. I am running a RAID 0 set up. I am not sure what you mean by saying "real" RAID setup though. I bought the machine from a store so it came that way. Do I need to do anything special for that then?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 28th, 2010 00:00

Sure, no problem. Just so you know ... those instructions were derived from Dell's instructions ... modified to work on any X-58 based AW machine.

I'll let someone else advise you on the advantages of using Intel RST in a true RAID environment because I don't run RAID drives on this machine.

If you installed Windows 7 and its working (getting RAID-0 speed and full space is available) it obviously works without it. I believe Intel RST gives you increased manageability in Windows and possibly a performance increase. Plus, you end-up using Intel's custom RAID driver to match the Intel ICH-10 RAID Controller on the motherboard.

No Events found!