Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 25th, 2011 13:00

Area 51 DDR3 1600 problems

I have an Area 51 with X58 motherboard and i7-930 2.8 CPU, BIOS A09..  I had 6Gb of DDR3 triple channel memory at 1333MHz, and bought a 12GB 1600MHZ kit from Kingston (KHX1600C9D3K3/12GX) XMP memory.  I installed it and enabled the XMP Support feature.  Restarting, I found that the BIOS recognized the 12GB and the 1600MHz speed.  Under the Advanced DRAM Configuration, under the Dimm-1 and Dimm-3 choices I found the timing settings and those under XMP Support.  But when I tried to see what the DIMM-2 settings were I got the following message:  Multi-Bit ECC Error.  I tried switching the 3 memory modules around but still got the same message.

I ran the memory tests, which took about 1/2 hour, and everything said PASS.  I rebooted to the utility partition and ran those memory tests, with no errors.  I then ran the Windows memory tests (2 passes) with no problems reported.

All my programs in Windows 7 64-bit seem to run fine.

Does anybody understand what is happening, and how to fix it?  Can I harm the computer by running it with this memory?

22 Posts

January 25th, 2011 17:00

Nope, the memory is non-ECC and unbuffered.

190 Posts

January 25th, 2011 17:00

Just a shot in the dark here. Did you get ECC memory? That code usally is multiple errors.Try diffrent memory.

15 Posts

April 20th, 2011 21:00

I recently upgraded my factory Ram on my Area-51 to Corsair Vengeance 12GM XMP, and I noticed the same issue. Using the latest Bios A10. I am going to rum memtest86+ and see what it says. If my ram passes I just going to run it as this could be a glitch in the bios with XMP.

22 Posts

April 21st, 2011 10:00

Since my post, Alienware came and replaced the motherboard.  I did not get the same error message anymore.  However, the BIOS was now A05, where it had been A09 on the original mobo..  I upgraded the BIOS to A10, and the problem came back!  I firmly believe it is a glitch in the BIOS with XMP.

Since then I have run all sorts of memory tests, multiple passes, and have never got a memory error.  I have been running my 12GB 1600 MHz memory with no apparent problems.

2.4K Posts

April 23rd, 2011 07:00

Since my post, Alienware came and replaced the motherboard.  I did not get the same error message anymore.  However, the BIOS was now A05, where it had been A09 on the original mobo..  I upgraded the BIOS to A10, and the problem came back!  I firmly believe it is a glitch in the BIOS with XMP.

Since then I have run all sorts of memory tests, multiple passes, and have never got a memory error.  I have been running my 12GB 1600 MHz memory with no apparent problems.

You are 100% right about it being the BIOS. I posted about this back when A09 and A10 was released. The XMP profiles work up to AO9. With A09 and newer they pretty much broke it. Good news is what you are reading in the BIOS doesn't matter. What you need to do is go download CPU-Z and see what it's running at.

No Events found!