Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 23rd, 2012 08:00

Area-51 No POST

Firstly the problem I have is with my Alienware Area 51 desktop PC (purchased in 2008).

I've been through the support process on the phone and told its a motherboard issue. I was then directed to a laptop only repair website but lets not get into that...

Problem:

1. LED on motherboard is on.
  2. (Press 'on' switch) second LED illuminates and a relay switch energises (possibly in the PSU).
  3. Nothing else happens. No beeps or video output whatsoever.

What I've tried:

1. Power reset.
  2. Disconnect from mains and hold 'on' switch.
  3. Remove memory and HDD.
  4. Checked all connectors and that everything is 'seated' correctly.

I should also mention that for a time this was an intermittent problem. By that I mean it did this a while back but it started working again after a time.

So... here I am. I'm after as much advice as I can get before I spend any money. I'm afraid I'll buy a motherboard and find its incompatible with other components for whatever reasons.

Any help would be appreciated.

2.6K Posts

December 5th, 2012 23:00

Hi,

I would rather say, if you are satisfied with the performance of the computer with the current specification, go for the same motherboard. In case you are looking forward to get a motherboard with the latest technology, check with our spare parts team if it would support liquid cooling. 

2.6K Posts

November 23rd, 2012 10:00

Hello Para,

Really appreciate the detailed description of the issue that you have described in your post. It seems that you have already done half of the steps. There are few steps that can be tried to drill down the cause of failure. Please follow the steps mentioned below.

-- Remove all the memory modules and the video card from the computer and restart the computer and check if any beeps are heard. If the beeps are heard, follow the next step.
-- Connect all the memory modules and try to turn on the computer without the video card installed and check the functionality.
-- Re-seat the CMOS battery.

** NOTE: Please ensure that the power cable of the computer is disconnected before opening the chassis. Refer to the Service Manual for assistance on removing or replacing the internal components of the computer.

Please try the steps and write back to us, would be glad to assist further.

8 Posts

November 23rd, 2012 12:00

I will detail exactly what happened in case it adds any value.

Removed memory and display cards:

This enabled the PC to start a POST and produced a long repeating beep.

Replaced the memory:

Produced a single beep and appeared to boot (guess as I couldnt see the screen at this point).

Removed CMOS battery for a few seconds and then put everything back together:

Booted to windows.

Cheers again.

2.6K Posts

Hi,

I am glad to be of help! 
Please do write back to us if you need any help in future, would be glad to assist further. 

8 Posts

Well that looks like it fixed it. I dont want to jinx it until I put it back together properly.

However, I can't say thanks enough. I was so close to buying a new motherboard after the phoneline techies suggested it.

When I get home I'm going to find my free Alienware hat that I got with my PC - and then put it on just so I can take it off to you sir...

8 Posts

December 3rd, 2012 13:00

Dramas!

It worked for a week-ish and exactly the same thing is happening. I tried all of the above to remedy the problem but to no avail.

Im back at the point where i've got the light on the motherboard and I hear the relay click.

:(

2.6K Posts

December 3rd, 2012 23:00

Hello Para,

I would suggest you to replace the CMOS battery and check the functionality. You may purchase the CMOS battery form any local store. 
Please try the step and write back to us, would be glad to assist further. 

8 Posts

December 4th, 2012 14:00

No dice...

2.6K Posts

December 4th, 2012 23:00

Hi,

If replacing the CMOS Battery doesn't fix the issue, it means that the motherboard is faulty and needs a replacement. Does the computer have an active warranty? You can check the warranty status here. In case of expired warranty scenario, we would not be able to extend warranty entitled services. If the warranty on the computer has expired, you may contact our Expired Warranty Services (this is for US based customers).

Please write back if you have any further questions. 

8 Posts

December 5th, 2012 10:00

I am well out of warranty.

My MB is the NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI (nearly 5 years old).

I'm now going to look at replacing it. Would buying the same one again be the best way to go? Or do you think there are better ones out there that I should go for instead?

I've put PCs together before but never upgraded boards for new ones and I'm concerned about compatibility issues eg will my liquid cooling go on any MB?

Thanks for all the help BTW.

8 Posts

December 7th, 2012 06:00

OK sorted! Thanks for your help :D

2.6K Posts

December 7th, 2012 22:00

Glad to be of help!

8 Posts

December 8th, 2012 12:00

OK so the NVidia website list my exact motherboard but I cant find a single retailer that sell it. Even the Alienware/Dell upgrades section links me to a site that doesn't sell it anymore.

So... I'm going to replace it with a different one and was wondering - what products should I look at?

Additionally I'm thinking of upgrading my processor. Currently I have an Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E8400 3.00GHz 6MB Cache 1333MHz FSB.

I know I dont need to go 'all out' and spend lots of money but I'd rather just get everything done in one go.

2.6K Posts

December 10th, 2012 23:00

Hi,

You may contact our Expired Warranty Services (this is for US based customers) or you may also contact Dell Spare Parts # 1-800-372-3355 (US Customers only). You may get the motherboard.

2.6K Posts

December 14th, 2012 02:00

Hi ,  

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please write back. Other community members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

No Events found!