Alienware General - Read Only

Last reply by 12-14-2012 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Area-51 No POST

Firstly the problem I have is with my Alienware Area 51 desktop PC (purchased in 2008).

I've been through the support process on the phone and told its a motherboard issue. I was then directed to a laptop only repair website but lets not get into that...

Problem:

1. LED on motherboard is on.
  2. (Press 'on' switch) second LED illuminates and a relay switch energises (possibly in the PSU).
  3. Nothing else happens. No beeps or video output whatsoever.

What I've tried:

1. Power reset.
  2. Disconnect from mains and hold 'on' switch.
  3. Remove memory and HDD.
  4. Checked all connectors and that everything is 'seated' correctly.

I should also mention that for a time this was an intermittent problem. By that I mean it did this a while back but it started working again after a time.

So... here I am. I'm after as much advice as I can get before I spend any money. I'm afraid I'll buy a motherboard and find its incompatible with other components for whatever reasons.

Any help would be appreciated.

Replies (15)

Hi,

I would rather say, if you are satisfied with the performance of the computer with the current specification, go for the same motherboard. In case you are looking forward to get a motherboard with the latest technology, check with our spare parts team if it would support liquid cooling. 

Community Accepted Solution

OK sorted! Thanks for your help :D

Glad to be of help!

OK so the NVidia website list my exact motherboard but I cant find a single retailer that sell it. Even the Alienware/Dell upgrades section links me to a site that doesn't sell it anymore.

So... I'm going to replace it with a different one and was wondering - what products should I look at?

Additionally I'm thinking of upgrading my processor. Currently I have an Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E8400 3.00GHz 6MB Cache 1333MHz FSB.

I know I dont need to go 'all out' and spend lots of money but I'd rather just get everything done in one go.

Hi,

You may contact our Expired Warranty Services (this is for US based customers) or you may also contact Dell Spare Parts # 1-800-372-3355 (US Customers only). You may get the motherboard.

Hi ,  

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please write back. Other community members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions