Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 29th, 2014 06:00

Area 51-R2, Nvidia Triple SLI Bridge, 3rd PSU to GFX cable

Hello,

I recently purchased a new Alienware Area 51-R2 with a single graphics card. I have three GTX 970s from a previous computer I would like to move over to this new machine. If you order the machine with the triple GTX 980 option, it will ship with a triple Nvidia SLI Bridge like the one shown below. This is a long shot but does anyone happen to know the dell P/N is for this bridge? Contacted support twice, I guess Dell "no longer sells these and searched amazon for a part...". These machines started shipping last month so I know the SLI bridge exists and are serviceable.

Hoping someone from Dell / Alienware can chime in and do a bit of research.
Thanks!

Edit: So according to alienware tech support - the part is GYN70 - manufactured by Nvidia.
The part is not serviceable or orderable according to both Dell/Alienware. I was told by support to just order one from Nvidia. 

I would hope these tech people are properly trained because the Nvidia 3 way SLI spacing is NOT the same as what the Area 51 R2 is using. Very disappointing.

Edit: The stock area 51 R2 motherboard spacing is 3x 60mm.
Most 3way SLI connectors are 3x 40mm. I can not find a single 3x 60mm connector - thus making it impossible to upgrade to 3 video cards.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 5th, 2015 15:00

Turns out that v030x is not the support bracket. Bc the non english speaking customer service sent me a $7 sli cable for $40. I will now be making the part myself and selling them.

Just so you know, the support bracket is not a required part. Dell only installs them because they ship every computer, and something light come lose. Also, I think that bracket is actually part of their OEM video cards, and is why they are not available separately.
With each card mounted inside two PCIe slots, and the normal screws or clips, they are not going anywhere. You would have the same arrangement as any other custom built machine, using retail or after-market parts.
As far as the custom nVidia SLI-Bridges (2 and 3 header) the customers in the other Area51-R2 threads seem to have found the proper part-numbers. Also, for the possibly missing modular video-card-power cables. 

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 29th, 2014 23:00

All you can do is keep calling Dell Spare Parts 1-800-357-3355 and ask if the Tri-SLI bridge GYN70 is available yet.

December 18th, 2014 09:00

If you got 3 Radeon 290X cards like me you would don't require a bridge.

3 Posts

December 19th, 2014 09:00

Hi Chris

Hoping you can help me as well.  I have the same dilemma.  I have the new area51 2014 and ordered the 2 way 980 sli and purchased a 3rd card.  I tried going thru sales and the 3 way sli parts aren't listed as of yet and I am quite frustrated.  I'm also looking for the metal bracket on the back of the card that attaches to the plastic clip and 3 screws on the back of the vid card.

4278.Capture.JPG

8171.Capture1.JPG

I'd appreciate any advice or direction to help me.

Happy Holidays

Richard

15 Posts

February 25th, 2015 19:00

I to am am trying to upgrade my area 51 r2  but cant find the nvidia 3 way spaced sli bridge that ships with the system. Im getting very frustrated because dell is trying to market this pc as upgrade friendly but they dont seem to sell any of the parts required to do so. Can you please help me?

thanks.

3 Posts

February 25th, 2015 21:00

The Dell Part# for the 3 way SLI Bridge is GYN70 = Tri-SLI bridge ($139.99) Dell Parts Direct.  The bridge is specifically designed for Dell for the spacing in the new form factor and motherboard.  NVidia does not offer the part directly as of yet.  Hope this helps.

15 Posts

February 26th, 2015 13:00

Thank you. I was able to place my order with dell this morning. Now i just habe to keep calling them about  the support bracket and thumb screws for the card. Also called the graphics card assembly. Part # v030x if anyone  is curious. Thanks again!

15 Posts

March 5th, 2015 11:00

Turns out that v030x is not the support bracket. Bc the non english speaking customer service sent me a $7 sli cable for $40. I will now be making the part myself and selling them.

15 Posts

March 5th, 2015 16:00

i was lucky enough  to get.the custom battlebox, which i thought for.sure would never happen.

15 Posts

March 5th, 2015 16:00

I know i dont need them but im picky. I want it strictly for consistency. It bothers me, along with tha fact they dont include the third set of PCIE cables and market it to be for upgraders and enthusiasts. Every part has been a nightmare to get. My set of pcie cables keeps getting pushed back.

2 Posts

March 5th, 2015 19:00

If you need to have a temp Tri SLI conector get 3 Sli Flex Cables and just criss crosss them Dig card to card works like a charm ! Be sure there the extra long ones Micro Center has them all the time.....

Asab

15 Posts

March 5th, 2015 20:00

Has anyone else had a problem configuring the third card in sli.. on my desktop it shows 3 cards. But when i activate 3d performance it it only links 2 of the 3 in sli. Do i have to delete all my nvidia drivers and redownload the latest, or am i missing something? Thanks

47 Posts

March 6th, 2015 04:00

In my experience, you need to have the 40 lane i7 5930k CPU for the third card to work.

I tried with the 5820k CPU and had the same issue you did - only 2 of the 3 cards in SLI.
Put in the 5930k CPU - boom all three cards are in SLI.

Someone may be able to debunk this but its what I did to get mine working.

2 Posts

March 6th, 2015 23:00

HockyTown is 100 % right this motherboard drops the PCIE lanes to 16x/8x/4x the 4 will NOT work for 3 way SLI it needs to be at least a PCIE 8x So dropig in a 5930 will do just that it will open the Highway for the PCIe lanes....Sorry :(

69 Posts

March 17th, 2015 07:00

Hey Chris, hope you are well. ive now got an R2 and after the 2 way SLI bridge

I'm in the UK and struggling at the moment - from the forum I got the parts numbers - 40NMJ.....Dell UK directed me to www.upgrade.co.uk but they don't seem to have it.  Any help is appreciated :)

No Events found!