Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 1st, 2017 23:00

Area 51 R2: USB/Bluetooth problems with A11 BIOS

I have an Alienware Area 51 R2.  I updated the BIOS to A11 and are now having problems with USB/Bluetooth.  At random times, all devices connected to the USB ports and all bluetooth devices will "die" at the same time.  They may or may not come back alive.  If not, I have to pull the plug on the computer to get it working again.  The computer worked great until I updated the BIOS.  Anyone else having this issue with A11?

28 Posts

May 2nd, 2017 07:00

Hi Rasthan,

I have not seen this problem in other threads, but something that you may try is to power drain the system completely, for this I recommend to disconnect everything from the computer first, turn it off and unplug the cord from the back, check if the issue continues after the power flush.

May be or not related, but have you recently updated your Windows to Creators?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

May 2nd, 2017 09:00

Hi rasthan,

As Kayanwang said, try a power drain, you can use this video as guidance.

Also, you can uninstall and reinstall the Bluetooth driver. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 2nd, 2017 12:00

< all devices connected to the USB ports and all bluetooth devices will "die" at the same time. 

Bluetooth not working might be expected if USB ports are a problem.

If you View "Devices by Connection" in Device Manager ... isn't the Bluetooth radio device connected to an internal USB-Hub?

28 Posts

May 2nd, 2017 12:00

on Area 51 R2, BT is integrated with the wireless card which is not listed as USB but as network card, it's a mini PCie if not mistaken, they should not share the same controller

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 2nd, 2017 13:00

Well, that is actually a better architecture.

However, that then means OP has a system-wide problem

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 2nd, 2017 13:00

I would try re-flashing the A11 BIOS. Be sure the checksum verifies first.

http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/alienware-area51-r2.html

Maybe from DOS with FreeDOS (see BIOS section).

https://community.dell.com/thread/8267-alienware-desktop-general-hardware-troubleshooting

Also, see my post here:

https://community.dell.com/message/128499-re-alienware-area-51-r2-not-posting-makes-clicking-noise?commentID=128499#comment-128499

specifically:

Seems these motherboards do work OK mostly, however ... they can get confused during BIOS updates and config changes. Thankfully, a BIOS reset, loading of BIOS defaults, or CMOS battery pull (with power dissipation while it's out) is usually enough to get it forced back into submission (reset and work properly darn it).

Then re-install current and proper Intel X99 Chipset Drivers.

If still problems, I think I would back-flash to A10. Again, with Rufus made FreeDOS boot (I think less chance of bricking MB).

3 Posts

May 3rd, 2017 03:00

I tried the power flush/power drain as you both have suggested and it seems to have cured the problem.  Thank you very much!

28 Posts

May 4th, 2017 06:00

That's great  

Glad it helped!

July 2nd, 2017 00:00

I got the same problem here with bios A12 resetting bios to default fixes problem, very annoying.

July 2nd, 2017 02:00

does it still happen after Power Drain?

July 2nd, 2017 13:00

Drained power some day's ago , today usb problem happened again, did a bios reset.

July 2nd, 2017 13:00

oh, that blows.

maybe one of your USB Devices has Compatibility Issues which makes USB Controller unstable. if you want try using different USB Ports. luckily the Area 51 has 8 Ports on the Back.

July 6th, 2017 13:00

I tried that too no result. 

July 6th, 2017 15:00

maybe it's a BIOS Bug? i'm on BIOS A11 at the Moment so i can'say if A12 Version works as intended.

one last Thing you can do is re-flash the BIOS. then remove the Power Cord and Coin Cell Battery and hold the Power On Button for a Minute. worked for me when my A51 decided to go Nuts and reported Hard Disk Temp @ 100 °C.

Good Luck.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 7th, 2017 09:00

Lone_Wulf71 wrote:

Drained power some day's ago , today usb problem happened again, did a bios reset.

Not real sure what your exact symptoms are, but if just having Bluetooth trouble:
1. Delete from Device Manager and let it re-detect drivers

2. Remove and install a new one

... WiFi and BT radios do go bad (because most PCBs are trash).

No Events found!