Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

October 6th, 2011 06:00

Area 52?

As Australian visitors to the Alienware website might be aware, the Area 51 is no longer available for purchase. First, the regular version suddenly vanished from the website, and now the ALX version has a message saying it's unavailable. I called Dell, and they were unsure what was happening, possibly that they were out of stock, or there was a new version being produced.

I called Dell again, and I was told that the Area 51 is being replaced by a new model the "Area 52", though the rep was unsure as to when it was coming out. This is rather interesting, since currently in Australia, Alienware is running a promotional tour also called "Area 52".  Something else that's interesting about this tour is the Area 51 is one of the models they're promoting, don't you think it's odd that they would remove one of the models they're promoting from the website before the tour is even finished? People who saw them at the event and want to purchase one are unable to do so! What a waste of advertising dollars! Unless on the last days of the tour they unveiled this new "Area 52" model...? ;) There's also the Ivy Bridge chipset out soon, it sounds like Alienware would want to put this in their new flagship desktop if you ask me.

So what's going on here? Is there the Area 51 being replaced by this new "Area 52" model? What is "Area 52"?

71 Posts

October 6th, 2011 07:00

Both Models still showing up on the American site. Thats not to say that they aren't eventually going to be changed/replaced. As you pointed out that ivy bridge is around the corner. I just think if there were a major change right now, it would be reflected on the American Alienware site too.

86 Posts

October 6th, 2011 08:00

Are there any Alienware events currently happening in America? If not, that would mean the Area 52 event in Australia would be the only place where Alienware would be able to unveil a new model.

71 Posts

October 6th, 2011 14:00

Not that I know of, I guess they possibly could be about to release a new/updates model in Australia first. Guess we'll find out one way or another soon.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 6th, 2011 15:00

I have never heard a whisper of an Area-52? I will let you all know if I do.

71 Posts

October 6th, 2011 22:00

Since I mentioned it, I also wanted to say how much I love Dells EPP program! Saved me a ton of $$$$ on my almost delivered Aurora.

71 Posts

October 6th, 2011 22:00

Good to know! btw, I noticed that the Area-51s base price has gone up by at least several hundred dollars (on the american alienware EPP site). in the last few days. I thought, "wow, maybe they added some new hardware options" turns out, everything is still the same. Yet they raised the price?

86 Posts

October 7th, 2011 00:00

Karl Agathon: EPP? What's that?

86 Posts

Thanks, but for the time being, can you find out what the story is with the Area 51 in Australia? It suddenly disappeared, and as I said, this makes no sense since Alienware is promoting them during the Area 52 tour, which is still going.

71 Posts

Employee Purcahse Program (or in my case) Member Purchase Program. Programs Dell runs for people who work in certain fields. Examples being governtment employees and employees of big and small coorporations. it also covers students and people who belong to associations. Basically those people receive various discounts when buying dell products. I happen to belong to an auto roadside assistance club called AAA. I got 25% off of my Aurora because of that. Adding another 3% off ontop of that for using dell financing as my payment method, and I ended up getting a total of 28% off of the total price (before taxes of course) Still, I ended saving a ton of $$$$

71 Posts

October 7th, 2011 01:00

Well these programs are available for U.S.and (I believe) Canadian residents. I dont know if Dell has a similar program in Australia. You could use your local online search sites.to find out. You could type in "dell epp" and/or "dell member purchase program" and see what comes up.

86 Posts

October 7th, 2011 01:00

Ooooh... I'm a student, how do I get my discount?

129 Posts

October 7th, 2011 03:00

Yes Dell has a student discoutn in Aus.

I found its always better to call Dell than just fill out the online form.

Rep who did my order gave me a 20% discount without actually being asked first. A total of about $1500the online price (he later upgraded my warranty and graphics without extra charge either).

No Events found!