Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 29th, 2011 07:00

Ati display driver has stopped working and has now recovered

I am losing my patience quickly.  I have had my alienware m15x for maybe 3-4 months now and so far I have tolerated this problem ("Ati display driver has stopped working and has now recovered" until now.  It freezes up, then makes all my videos turn green and I can't watch them anymore unless I refresh the page (which sometimes causes this problem again).  I have called alienware support maybe 1-2 weeks after I first received my alienware m15x and they "updated" my driver but it seems to not be working.  Can someone give me instructions on how to fix this problem.  I have searched online but honestly I can't seem to find any answers.  If you have dealt with this problem before please help me!  I have the ATI Radeon Mobility 5850 Graphics card

cliffs:
- I am mad at alienware
-ATI display driver stopped working and has recovered problem
-Need help to fix this. Thank you!

June 29th, 2013 12:00

I have had the same problem since DAY 1 of getting the laptop.  It has only GOTTEN WORSE!  I can barely run the laptop for an hour before it crashes and fails to recover in an infinitely locked up loop.  I never sent the laptop back because just getting it delivered to my apartment took about a week and a half of failed or missed deliveries, and I didn't want to permanently lose the laptop. Has this ever been resolved?  Is Dell listening?

835 Posts

July 1st, 2013 14:00

Hi all,

I understand the situation is frustrating, let me help you figure it out. You should start by discarding the possibility of a software issue, re install the Operating System following the steps in this article:

How to install Windows 7 in an Alienware Computer? 

And let me know how it goes.

July 4th, 2013 13:00

I don't mean to be rude, but what exactly is reinstalling Windows supposed to accomplish?  It doesn't have anything to do with Windows.  I know this because when I attempt to run the diagnostic program that's available before Windows even boots, the program locks up on the color bars test and won't go any further.  It won't even allow me to input (y / n).  It just stops.  That seems to indicate a hardware issue to me.  I could be wrong, but as I said, if you could explain to me what reinstalling Windows will accomplish (other than just checking off a standard list of "things you must try first"), I'll gladly dedicate the hours necessary to do so, including the re-setting up of my preferences, settings, etc...

835 Posts

July 5th, 2013 14:00

I'm sorry, I missed that information on your first post, I didn't know about the diagnostics test. It does sound like a hardware issue.

Just to confirm, is your system an m15x too?

July 6th, 2013 11:00

Yes, with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850 card as well.

835 Posts

July 9th, 2013 14:00

Hi,

Is your system still under warranty? What BIOS version are you running?

July 9th, 2013 16:00

No, it expired in 2011.

BIOS v. A04 1.0

835 Posts

July 10th, 2013 16:00

Hi,

Check out this article I found on AMD's support site:

support.amd.com/.../737-27116RadeonSeries-ATIKMDAGhasstoppedrespondingerrormessages.aspx

That article mentions the Chipset driver could be the problem, you can try re installing it, here's the link for the download:

M15x Chipset Driver 

And, pleaes send me your service tag on a private message so I can do further research on this.

No Events found!