Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 31st, 2015 12:00

Audio problems with windows 10 Alienware M17x R4 > Creative Labs CT9570 Audio Driver

I upgraded to win 10 and all the things worked as it should, the only thing i noticed was the 3,5mm micport didn't work, the 3,5mm headphone/speaker port works as it should, how can I fix it?

Things I've tried::
Installed the drivers.
Plug and unplug the mic.
Tested 4 different mics.
Rebooted the comp.

The comp knows when i plug and unplug the mic, but it doesn't send any sound from the mic for some reason...

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

August 3rd, 2015 09:00

Hello, 

We are not supporting Windows 10 for the Alienware M17XR4 system. We will not be providing newer drivers to be compatible with Windows 10. However, some of customers managed to fix this problem with installing the audio driver from the Dell site for Windows 8.1. Click here to view another thread from the Alienware Arena forum that discusses this.

7418.2.JPG

1 Message

September 26th, 2015 10:00

So the plan here is to just let our fairly recent product purchases die so that we'll upgrade hardware?  

Classy.  I'll remember that when I do need to upgrade, looks like Lenovo will be getting my money instead. 

1 Message

October 7th, 2015 00:00

Well I find it to be unacceptable for a company that claims they make the best gaming laptops and desktop pc's to plainly neglect the needs of so many customers. The Alienware m17x R4 is not an old machine and was still available brand new a year ago in stores and now with the "last" windows to be made will not be compatible without the user going to extremes to solve the issue themselves with absolutely no assistance from Dell at all. This makes me doubt in the quality of the "Dell Customer Care" and since I am in the process of replacing my m17x R4 I am now leaning towards the Asus ROG and MSI GT series which perform on the same level as the new Alienware but is $1,500 cheaper. I implore Dell to take a look at all their client sitting with this exact same issue with a single driver and help us fix the issue and in so doing return our faith in the Dell brand.

5 Posts

October 8th, 2015 14:00

I strongly agree. BUT, there's the fact that 2 of my dells have given me 3 problems over the course of 15 years whilst my Toshiba broke down beyond repair after a year, my azer crashed atleast 1 time each week for a year till I threw it out from the window because I couldn't take it, the comp that actually held the longest was my Dell Dimension 8200 desktop that I had 1 problem with, only ONE under the course of 5 years, I had it running basically 24/7 during that timeperiod aswell, so on avarage it was on about 20/6, not an exact number, but it's pretty much accurate, 

That beeing said, sure, You can charge for the next-day service, even the advancedd alienware extra service thing, but neglect people here on the forums is taking it too far, what? aren't you making enough yet with all the extras you're basically shoving down our thoats like extended warranties and such, you're losing so much by doing this Dell.

1 Message

October 29th, 2015 10:00

This is absolutely unacceptable! I am in shocked at Dell's complete lack of concern for their customer base. I'm at a loss for words.    

1 Message

December 9th, 2015 21:00

I will personally never purchase a Dell again as a result of this horrible treatment.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 9th, 2015 22:00

Also, you can just go ahead and buy a (Win-10 compatible) USB based gaming headset (with mic).

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

So the plan here is to just let our fairly recent product purchases die so that we'll upgrade hardware?  

Classy.  I'll remember that when I do need to upgrade, looks like Lenovo will be getting my money instead. 

Yes, Lenovo is handling the Win-10 upgrade of old machines much better. They are even going back and re-writing select old drivers and bundled software:

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

I upgraded to win 10 and all the things worked as it should, the only thing i noticed was the 3,5mm micport didn't work, the 3,5mm headphone/speaker port works as it should, how can I fix it?

Things I've tried::
Installed the drivers.
Plug and unplug the mic.
Tested 4 different mics.
Rebooted the comp.

The comp knows when i plug and unplug the mic, but it doesn't send any sound from the mic for some reason...

What Dell drivers (exactly) are you trying to install?
Additionally, have you tried:
- Uninstalling all Dell audio software from Programs and Features
- Delete audio devices from Device Manager and Devices and Printers
Reboot machine and see what drivers Microsoft Updates gives you for the (newly detected) on-board audio devices.

5 Posts

December 15th, 2015 07:00

Well Tesla, it's not the original problem that's getting us now since I spent hours upon hours raging, downloading my specific drivers for my tag, uninstalling, reinstalling and everything without any help, not via phone, mail nor here, and that's what this issue has escalated towards, the lack of help without all the extras like warrenty extentions, next day fix and all of that .

That's become the issue, Dell/Alienware is undoubtibly the most known commersial brand for computers all over the world, and I'm starting to wonder how and why since we're beeing treated this way once all of those extras is gone.

Sure, I didn't buy this laptop from Dell/Alienware directly, I used another retailer just because they had MUCH better initial upgrading freedom, for example, I wanted the OCZ Agility 3 as my main harddrive with 525mb/s read / 500mb/s write capabillities, a performance to storage superior harddrive as my second, a hybrid between Mechanical and SSD as my secondary, and I wanted the Corsair Vengence for my ram and I also wanted Windows 7 which WASN'T even an option when I got this since windows 8 was THE worst windows EVER produced, and yes, I'd rather have vista than windows 8.

So those are the reasons I didn't buy it directly from Dell/Alienware.

But yeah, it doesn't change the fact that it's poor that you can't even get help from the forums when all else fails, but as I said before, my Dells and Alienwares I've had before ha performed beautiful except for a total of 5 problems over the course of 15 years give or take, but yeah, it doesn't change the fact that I can't get the help I need anywhere so I had to do everything myself.

Edit:
For what money would I buy a new USB headset? Oh you mean the -$10 or so I have each month? And why would I even want to? When I have a Sennheiser PC 350 or 360? Don't remember which one it is, and the reaon which I believe that you'll ask why I could've afforded all of this then and not now is because I got an insurance claim if you must know.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 15th, 2015 11:00

I prefer a PC Gaming USB Headset like Plantronics/Logitech and reserve the analog ones for the Home Stereo ... but if you want to use it for both you can (but no mic unless you attach to lapel)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IRVQ0F8?keywords=usb%20sound%20card&qid=1450203926&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

5 Posts

December 15th, 2015 12:00

I did answer it, I downloaded all of the drivers specific for my (service)tag, the original problem is solved, and that's not the issue anymore, the issue now is still the fact that none from Dell/Alienware helped me when I needed it.

1 Message

December 17th, 2015 08:00

This has been an interesting forum and post. I've been struggling with the same issue described here and wasted a day not getting it resolved.

Dell / Alienware need to realize they're alienating their customer base.

My team use skype to collaborate on projects. We do high end VMware server deployment prototyping hence why we have used Alienware laptops for 3 years.

As the program manager I've been looking to refresh our developers laptops. We were going to buy 4 new Alienware full spec, but this latest issue has put that decision on hold.

Would be useful to know if anyone else has identified an alternative product to the Alienware Laptop.

Thanks in advance

John

December 25th, 2015 14:00

Now, I have a Alienware M17X R4 (Fully spec'ed out as Well) that is not able to properly run windows 10 because of drivers and bios issues.

I hate having to go the route of personally recoding and modifying drivers. I did have to do that several times for hardware devices on custom systems. Worked great. but takes a massive amount of time out of my day.

December 25th, 2015 14:00

The reality is that alienware does not give a  about their customers. I have many old HP, Lenovo, Ausus products... Please tell me why all have worked flawlessly with windows 10. Some have actually seen a performance boost. Drivers were updated by each manufacturer and/or windows 10 was a champ in installing the proper drivers.

This is just 1 issue, I have also been fighting tooth an nail to get a system I purchased replaced. I got the latest spec'ed out Alienware 17 (which was a pile of garbage.) Has served as a paperweight for the past 7 months. Literally. It begain having issues at day 2. I kept it because I was assured it would be resolved and fixed. Guess what... They refused to do anything about it but Frankenstein the system. They have a 30 day replacement policy and they refused to honor it.

Long story short... I had to file a case. That was the only thing that got their attention. However, get this... I am going onto month 3 in which their "higher level management" has promised the system dispatch to be "Next week." It is Dec 25th and still waiting. Issue that started in May..

So the comments here about them no giving a ... You are absolutely correct. Worst experience of my life.. even when I gave them the benefit of the doubt and chance to turn it around. They again failed.

No Events found!