Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 19th, 2013 22:00

Aurora ALX Power Supply

Oldwolf here,

Hello I'm new to these forums but my Aurora ALX is about two years old maybe older. (old and senile and don't know how to check  ) I want to upgrade my video card but don't know what power supply I have and I can't even see it because all of the metal and plastic around it. Can someone tell me what power supply I have or how to find out?

Thanks,

Oldwolf

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 19th, 2013 23:00

- Look at Invoice

- Remove and look at large sticker on top of PS

- If all 4 video card plugs have power on them, you have the 875w PS (the largest offered).

The 875w should run fine any single video card you mentioned.

3.3K Posts

September 20th, 2013 07:00

Hi Oldwolf,

You can check for the sytem configuration using the link below:

http://dell.to/1fh8pGY

Enter the service tag of the computer. Under”original System configuration” you can find the configuration of the computer including the Power supply shipped with the computer.

Let me know the Power supply wattage so that I can check for the Video card compatibility.

4 Posts

September 19th, 2013 22:00

Oldwolf again,

I was not clear what I intend to do, I want to upgrade my video card to either 780 GTX or 660 TI or maybe even add a second 480 GTX. Any help will be appreciated.

Oldwolf out.

4 Posts

September 20th, 2013 12:00

That got it! Thank you both for your answers they were both very helpful. I found out That the power supply was not on my invoice for some reason and I think I know why. They gave me a Power Supply,717W,Redundant,ASTEC V2, which is not what I was supposed to get. I am very upset that they gave me a substandard part. I should have gotten the same one every other Aurora ALX owner got. I will never buy from them again and there is really nothing I can do about it now. I understand why they install these things that block the average customer from seeing the PS. No biggie. Live and learn. I think I should still be fine for a replacement video card assuming the "pin" set up works (the things that plug into the video card to give it power, in case I am using the wrong term). I can look up the Power Supply,717W,Redundant,ASTEC V2 and see what's what. When I bought my PC I knew even less than I do now about these things if you can believe it, and I let the lady on the phone convince me the Killer Pro 2100 card had the ability to connect me to the internet wirelessly. It does not. Well I am not the first person who was suckered by a large company and I won't be the last. I will however be building my new PC piece by piece to make sure I get what I want. I have already ordered this:

NZXT HALE90 V2 NP-1GM-1200A 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active@0.99(Typically) PFC Power Supply

So I know I will not have any power problems lol. By the time I'm finished in two months I will have my dream gaming machine. All in all though I really can't complain about what I did get from my Alienware purchase. It lasted me more than two years and the only problems I have had are:

A) My video card , 480 GTX, started to go but I reseated it after taking it out, completely unhooking it, then blowing air throughout to clean it. Put it back in. And then It was fine and still is. The 480GTX is a work horse by the way.

B) My CD ROM tray gets stuck constantly now. I'm afraid it will break completely soon trapping one of my discs inside it.

For a PC this is an amazing track record for reliability it seems. My friends PCs tank constantly and they are newer than mine. But I am not a crazy overclocker. I will be very careful building and setting up my new machine, educating myself constantly along the way as each new piece is carefully selected to match what I have so far and for reliability and performance.

I can tell this is a great community and I regret not being able to trust Alienware. But for those reading this, My PC lasted longer than they normally do for me  and it is still going. I believe it will last through the third year and I have not had to spend any money on repairs or even had to send it in while it was still under warranty. Thanks again for your help,

James

4 Posts

September 20th, 2013 13:00

All of the above information about my power supply may be bogus. The link I went to provided by Dell-Rajesh R, showed me specs from something with a different service tag than the one on my Aurora ALX. I don't know how this could happen but I don't think the 717w power supply is on my system. In fact when I input the correct service tag number there is. no. power supply. listed on there. I am sorry for the long and apparently useless post.

I will get the damn thing out of my case and look at it and update us here as soon as I figure out how to do it without wrecking it.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 20th, 2013 14:00

Shut down and unplug.

Follow directions in Aurora PDF Service Manual ... PS remove and replace.

Take pic of large label.

No Events found!