Highlighted
ssparrow
1 Copper

Aurora ALX - SLI GTX 460 overheating

Hello

Wonder if anybody can help me out, I bought an Aurora last year (Oct 2010) and opted for the Dual 460's for SLI. I have not been able to take full advantage of the cards because whenever I use SLi the second card (bottom) will get overheat due to heat transfer from top card causing the computer to lock up and give the Pixeled green screen. Just wondering if anyone has had the same issue and how you resolved it. I'm currently looking at either replacing the cards with a 570 or get a gpu cooling fan for the card to prevent the heat pocket on the second card. If you have anything else i haven't thought of that would be greatly appreciated.

The top card runs at an average of 37 deg C and the bottom at 57 deg when not in use when gaming in sli the bottom card will over heat at 110 in about 10 min of play. I've tried manually setting the fan speed to react to temp but even running at 100% cards will still overheat.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
REAVER-au
1 Copper

Re: Aurora ALX - SLI GTX 460 overheating

Late reply I know but I have the same issue. I resolved it (after partially loosing one of my cards - will only run SLi, direct output is defective) by downloading EVGA's Precision tool and increasing fan speed's while underclocking the cards. This, combined with removing some of the shroud around the lower card and adding an additional fan has allowed me to keep the temps below 50. Resuming normal clocking while running full BF3 graphics in SLi takes temps to 67deg C max. Previous temps were well over 70 (bearing in mind 33-38deg C ambient temps)

0 Kudos
ssparrow
1 Copper

Re: Aurora ALX - SLI GTX 460 overheating

Totally forgot about this post . I guess this was a common problem for alienware with the 460s. Turns out the wrong cable was plugged into the bottom card should have been j16 vice j15 which mine came as. When I called them and told them my symptoms they had the resolution very quickly. There is still a slight issue with heat dissipation but is resolved by me turning my nerd box off when not in use, but I am no longer hitting the high temps I was before. Standard temps are 31 top 35 bottom in normal ops and 65 top and 69 bottom playing bf3 and skyrim in high - ultra high mode.

0 Kudos