Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 8th, 2009 12:00

Aurora ALX Tactx Keyboard and Mouse go dark and "Freeze".

I've been having problems with my new Aurora ALX system and it appears to be related to my TactX Keyboard and Mouse.

Whenever I'm browsing (IE) and open some form of plugin content (flash or video player ala YouTube) it's a gamble whether or not my keyboard and mouse are going to suddenly go dark and stop functioning as input devices.  I've managed to replicate this over and over and have played with a few settings so far that have had little effect.  I have a a clean install of Vista 64-bit Ultimate SP1 and the Alienware command centre as installed at delivery.  I've attempted the following with no luck:

Vista 64-bit SP2 installed.  Still losing keyboard and mouse.

Disabled AlienFX profile, disabled "events" on TactX, disabled "allow 3rd party access to TactX/AlienFX".  Still losing the keyboard and mouse when browsing flash or video content.

I've upgraded and downgraded my flash version from 8 - 10 with no luck and have switched to the 32-bit IE browser but it didn't correct the issue.

Anyone else have issues with the TactX Keyboard and Mouse?

10 Posts

December 8th, 2009 22:00

Sorry I haven't had any of those problems >_<  Both Keyboard and Mouse have been working perfect for me. I'm currently using windows 7. I also don't use IE either. 

I don't know if you have already tried this but a CD should of came with your keyboard, it has all the drivers for the TactX stuff, you might want to try a reinstall for it and see if that fixes the problem. Thats really weird how plug-ins are causing mouse and keyboard to go wack...

The other only thing I can think of is your Security level. Check all your security and account settings. I have heard of vista pretty much locking up hardware when ever a pop up/ plug-ins ect accrues.

Try other internet browsers and see if it causes the same problems. Try Firefox and Safari. See if using those cause the same problems. Also what version of IE are you using? 

Hope any of this helps. 

30 Posts

December 10th, 2009 20:00

I'm having the same problem with an Aurora ALX and of course the same mouse and keyboard. I used to have that problem very often but got rid off of some drivers for the Nvidia video card and it looks like that took care of the problem for now. The PC came with the Nvidia 295 video card installed and I exchanged it for the ATI 5870. The PhysX driver installed by the Nvidia driver disables it if an ATI card is also installed. You could use it if you use older nvidia drivers, like 181.71.

I have no idea why this issue but I notice that if I uninstall PhysX, the problem goes away.  Do you have that driver installed as well?

2 Posts

December 22nd, 2009 13:00

I have the PhysX driver installed as well.  I have tried disabling it but not uninstalling.  I have two NVidia cards (SLI) GTS 240s.  It's odd: even restoring the entire system to the state it arrived in doesn't get rid of the issue.  I've noticed that, when the keyboard and mouse go dark, the entire PC freezes and the speakers (plugged into the on-board sound jack in the back) "freeze" with a wicked screech-tone.  I've tried fiddling with all the command centre/tactx settings and have tried reinstalling the keyboard/mouse drivers with no luck so far.

It seems to happen with almost any "active" web-browser content whether it be Internet Explorer or FireFox: a java window can do it (though not all the time), a youtube video, even browsing images on facebook.

If anyone has had these issues (and resolved them) let me know!

15 Posts

January 12th, 2010 10:00

This may or may not be related to your keyboard mouse. Sounds like you just having the same freezing issues as everyone else.  I have had similar issues myself. Search for random freezing or just freezing on forum to fix your issue. My Alienware keyboard just stopped working. Works fine on another machine...Uhhh

2 Posts

January 26th, 2010 19:00

Hey there guys, Ive been having the same problems as you guys.  My ALX Tactx Keyboard and Mouse also go dark and freeze up my computer.  I been searching around this forum trying to find a fix but no luck.  I have the ATI 5870 Drivers and not the nvidia ones you guys mentioned in the thread.  Any ideas?

30 Posts

January 27th, 2010 10:00

It looks like the problem goes away if if you disable the Catalyst Control Center (CCC) from loading up at Startup. I used msconfig.exe under Startup to do it.

I was also having a problem where the PC would change the power settings by itself every now and them and the problem got solved by doing the same thing. There is something not working right with the CCC and Windows 7 x64.

The only game I play is Unreal Tournament and it is working fine with the changes. It looks that it is ok to disable the CCC from loading at startup after you set up the settings you need/want.

Please leave your comments if you were able to solve this problem by following this advice.

2 Posts

January 29th, 2010 08:00

Xperto, I took your advice above and disabled the CCC from loading up when I got home from work on Wednesday evening.  I had no problems yesterday (Thurs) but sure enough when I got up this morning to go to work my Tactx keyboard and mouse both went dark and my computer was frozen.  So looks like this potential fix didnt work for me. Any other ideas out there I can try? 

30 Posts

January 29th, 2010 09:00

Disabling CCC at start up did it for me. I have no idea on what else is happening.

Techs at Alienware should know by now what is really going on.

As I said before, I have no problems (for now).

Good luck!!!!

March 16th, 2010 22:00

Hey have you gotten this issue fixed yet? your issue is exactly like mine... why is it we buy a gaming notebook and it freezes when we use video or flash or stuff.

for me it use to be just videos. now when im playing champions-online trial it freezes and like keyboard and mouse goes dark.. it annoys the hell out of me..

and every time i call dell they dont seem like they know whats going on...

30 Posts

March 17th, 2010 07:00

I had to undo the memory overclocking. It looks like that took care of the problem for me.

March 17th, 2010 15:00

how did you undo the memory over clocking?

if i call dell tech team will they be able to help me?

or is it doable by myself or can i find instructions somewhere?

im not computer savy and dont want to mess up any system configurations

March 17th, 2010 16:00

Oh i mean can you provide instructions on how to do that? ive never been in bios before.

do i just hit  F12 then go to memory and select 8 then save ans exit?

30 Posts

March 17th, 2010 16:00

I changed the memory ratio in the Bios from 10 to 8.

March 17th, 2010 17:00

so i took a look at my bios i think, was F2 to get into my bios and i dont see any numbers for like 8.

in overclock configuration my

Adjusted CPU BC1k or was it BCLK (MHz) is at 133

Speed Spec Enabled

Adjusted PCI Frequency Mhz is on auto

Adjusted PCI-E Frequency MHz is at 100

and Intel(R) Turbo Mould Tech or something is enabled

___________ __________ _______

before the entered the overclock pace my CPU Speed is at 2.66 (133x20)

Memory Speed is at 1600 Mhz (133x12)                !!!(am i suppose to change this some how?)!!!

Curent QPI Speed 4800 GT/s

OPI Frequency is at auto

Memory Ratio is at Auto

XMP is enabled

and Cpu Core (non-turbo ratio) is 20

30 Posts

March 17th, 2010 18:00

Manual Overclocking i7-920

* Restart the PC
* Press F2
* Press F9
* On the Load Optimal Defaults screen, press the Enter key on Ok
* Select CPU Configuration and press Enter
* Change Intel SpeedStep Tech to Disabled
* Press the Escape key to back to the main menu
* Select Frequency/Voltage Control and press Enter
* QPI Frequency = Auto
* Memory Ratio = 8 for 1067/1333MHz memory. 10 for 1600MHz memory
* XMP Support = Disabled for 1067/1333MHz memory. Enabled for 1600MHz memory
* Select Overclock Configuration and press Enter
3.20GHz = 160, Enabled, Auto, 100, Disabled, 26,25,25,25,110,130
* Go back by pressing ESC and select Overvoltage Configuration and press Enter
3.20GHz = +20mv, Auto, 1.10v, Default
* Press F10 to Save and Exit

Possible causes of PC failures due to Overclocking
* Memory ratios set higher than 8 for 1067/1333MHz or 10 for 1600MHz memory
* Adjusting the CPU BClk to values higher than 160

In case of PC failures due to Overclocking

The Bios will try to recover itself by setting the system to factory defaults, after a third post failure. In case the Bios cannot be recovered, then the CMOS has to be manually reset by moving the CMOS jumper and removing the Coin Cell battery. Once the system is able to complete the post, access the Bios and reset Load Level 1 Settings to load the factory 3.20GHz configuration. When resetting the System Setup (BIOS) to its default settings on the Alienware Aurora and Area 51, whether using the jumper or in BIOS keyboard commands, the factory shipped overclocked settings are reverted to a non-overclocked state. After defaults are loaded, the factory overclocked settings must be manually input. Once the system has been overclocked, this does not mean that it will always run at the overclocked speed. The system will automatically throttle the speed when required, such as during performance taxing video games or applications. The only reliable place to determine the maximum speed once the system has been overclocked is in the system BIOS as many software applications may not reliably determine the maximum speed.

No Events found!