Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 10th, 2017 16:00

Aurora BIOS can't see new SSD

Hello.  I have an Aurora desktop (just plain Aurora), and I got tired of replacing my system disk every couple of years, so I bought an M.2 SSD (My Digital SSD, BPX).  The mfr sent me an adaptor that lets me plug the SSD into a long expansion slot.  (I took  out the super-duper networking card, because I'm not a gamer, so I had a free slot.)  Windows disk manager, EaseUS Todo Backup, and EaseUS Partition Master can see the SSD, but my BIOS can't.  I have BIOS version A11, which is the latest version offered on Dell's web site.

I used EaseUS Todo Backup's clone function to clone my system HDD onto the SDD, and it completed without error, but my computer won't boot from the SDD, and BIOS still can't see it.

Can anybody help me make my SSD bootable?

Jim Crutchfield

Long Island City, NY

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 10th, 2017 17:00

Yeah, I was thinking of trying a M.2 SSD on PCIe card myself until I did some research. Seems others with Intel x58 chipset motherboard (even retail after-market boards) have a hard time getting them to work, and especially as "boot drive" (which was my main requirement).

I decided to pass on that idea. Conventional SSD on SATA-2/300 will have to be fast enough for now.

24 Posts

February 13th, 2017 16:00

Thanks, Tesla1856.  The mfr of the SSD told me about the same thing:  the Aurora's motherboard can't boot off of the PCIe bus.  I asked if they had a compatible SSD that I could exchange for, and I'm awaiting an answer.

Meanwhile, since you seem to know all about these machines, is it possible to upgrade the Aurora to a modern mobo?  If so, is it worth it?  I've already replaced the video card and all of the hard drives.  Are the original power supply, audio card, cooling system, & other components going to last long enough to justify a new motherboard, or, if it comes to that, should I just get a whole new computer?  (The Aurora is really more computer than I need, nowadays, but I'd like to keep it going as long as that's reasonable.)

Thanks again for your advice so far.

Jim Crutchfield

Long Island City, NY

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 13th, 2017 20:00

1. is it possible to upgrade the Aurora to a modern mobo?

2. If so, is it worth it?  I've already replaced the video card and all of the hard drives.

3. Are the original power supply, audio card, cooling system, & other components going to last long enough to justify a new motherboard, or, if it comes to that, should I just get a whole new computer?  

1. Yes, others have done it and posted detailed threads. I think most mATX boards will fit.

2. Only you can answer that.

3. Unknown. Yes, all parts have a life it seems, but it varies. You can just replace them as they fail.

Also, see this:

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/20004186

Some after-market cases are cheap. You could put those new parts inside a custom build also.

No Events found!