September 21st, 2011 10:00

Aurora CPU and Memory Upgrade

I currently I have Aurora desktop and I’m trying to figure
out if I can upgrade memory and CPU. In terms of memory based on the Aurora’s
manual I can run 1066 or 1333MHz memory in all the 6 slots or 1600Mhz XMP
memory in slots 1,3 and 5, however I don’t know what is the maximum memory size
per slot I can have?

Currently I have Intel i7 920 2.67GHz CPU and I like to know
what socket is that and what is the maximum CPU I can install?

406 Posts

September 21st, 2011 14:00

I currently I have Aurora desktop and I’m trying to figure
out if I can upgrade memory and CPU. In terms of memory based on the Aurora’s
manual I can run 1066 or 1333MHz memory in all the 6 slots or 1600Mhz XMP
memory in slots 1,3 and 5, however I don’t know what is the maximum memory size
per slot I can have?

Currently I have Intel i7 920 2.67GHz CPU and I like to know
what socket is that and what is the maximum CPU I can install?

4GB's per solt for a total of 24GB's when using all 6 slots & up to 12GB's when using 1,3,5.

LGA1366 is the socket for your cpu & the maximum cpu you could install would be the 990x.

36 Posts

September 21st, 2011 17:00

You can also go up to 6Gb 1866Mhz. And yes...990X; that is the setup I have (no mods, ordered that way)

36 Posts

September 21st, 2011 21:00

I got my ALX June 26 (and then replaced last Wednesday). The memory is Kingston HyperX T1, 3 x 2Gb in slots 1, 3, and 5. I think Alienware has removed the 1866 option, as well as the Nvidia 590 GTX from the option lists. For the 590, I'm glad I got mine when I did..

46 Posts

September 21st, 2011 21:00

So 1866MHz DDR3 is maximum 6GB? If so what kind of configuration, how many slots used and how much memory per each slot? How old is your Aurora because in my manual it only states memory up to 1600MHz?

46 Posts

September 21st, 2011 23:00

My Aurora is older than that so I will stick with 1600Mhz. One other question I have is when I look through CPUs to pick one I noticed that they specify memory supported, for example i7 960 on Intel website says memory support DDR3-800/1066 does this mean that I have to “mate” memory speed to CPU so if I put faster memory CPU won’t use it so it is waste of money or might even don’t work?

2.4K Posts

September 22nd, 2011 03:00

My Aurora is older than that so I will stick with 1600Mhz. One other question I have is when I look through CPUs to pick one I noticed that they specify memory supported, for example i7 960 on Intel website says memory support DDR3-800/1066 does this mean that I have to “mate” memory speed to CPU so if I put faster memory CPU won’t use it so it is waste of money or might even don’t work?

It still has the same mobo so you can use 1866 if you want to.

The DDR3-800/1066 memory support is right. Anything over that is technically overclocked. 1333mhz is stock for all x58 chipsets/ i7 CPU's made. If you are running 1600mhz memory then you are running overclocked memory as far as intel is concerned.

The only limit to memory speed will come from the BIOS. But it won't stop you from running any speed you wish to run. I was running 1866,even overclocked it to 2000 long before Dell even officially listed the 1866 support. The only hard part was figuring out what Dell's stock volts are so I could set them to what they needed to be for my DIMM's.

Also keep in mind that if you want to use faster memory you only want to populate 1,3 and 5. If you populate all 6 DIMM slots you will need to bring the speed down. That is why fast systems use a lower ammount of memory and only half the DIMM slots.

For your system you would want to run 6gigs of 1866mhz ( 3 two gig sticks ) in just 3 slots for max performance. That's the sweet spot for your rig. At 6gigs you can disable the page file with no worry for everyday and gaming use. If you use 12gigs it's a waste of money since nothing will ever use it all. If you do go for 12gigs anyway then buy three 4 gig sticks and not six 2 gig sticks. Populating all 6 DIMMS will be slower then a system only using 3. Don't even THINK about going to 24gigs. Don't even look at it

I wouldn't bother upgrading your CPU. It's to late into the game for that. It would be better to change the mobo and CPU to a Sandybridge then to upgrade to another i7. Just go into your BIOS and OC the heck out of it and ride it till it yells for mercy. Go for a 3.6ghz OC.

2.4K Posts

September 22nd, 2011 06:00

Also keep in mind that if you want to use faster memory you only want to populate 1,3 and 5. If you populate all 6 DIMM slots you will need to bring the speed down. That is why fast systems use a lower ammount of memory and only half the DIMM slots.

For your system you would want to run 6gigs of 1866mhz ( 3 two gig sticks ) in just 3 slots for max performance. That's the sweet spot for your rig. At 6gigs you can disable the page file with no worry for everyday and gaming use. If you use 12gigs it's a waste of money since nothing will ever use it all. If you do go for 12gigs anyway then buy three 4 gig sticks and not six 2 gig sticks. Populating all 6 DIMMS will be slower then a system only using 3. Don't even THINK about going to 24gigs. Don't even look at it

I wouldn't bother upgrading your CPU. It's to late into the game for that. It would be better to change the mobo and CPU to a Sandybridge then to upgrade to another i7. Just go into your BIOS and OC the heck out of it and ride it till it yells for mercy. Go for a 3.6ghz OC.

Even though upgrading from 1333 to 1866 wont show any noticeable improvement, I did it anyway. I agree that 6gb of ram is enough, but I also believed that turning off the page file with 6gb's was tempting fate at times. So I installed 12gb of 1866 filling all six slots and they run at stock speeds.

I have had no performance issue using all six slots. All sticks are at 1866 and page filing is turned off. I think the most I have seem of the ram usage was close to but just short of 4 gb's. So I feel better with the excessive buffer.

I had some issues at first with restarts. I solved that by changing the voltage from "automatic" to 1.65v and have had no futher issues.

Morblore, you say upgrading to another i7 isn't worth it. I agree if you plan on a replacement short of the 990x, but the 990x still outperforms the Sandybridge in most applications. I plan on doing this when the price drops a couple of hundred in hopes the computer will last another three years.

Just short of 4gb means 2gb is wasted. You want the system using as much ram as it can. Being close is a good thing. I have never had an issue with 6gbs of memory with pagefile disabled. I would have to use something with a memory leak to get close to using it all.

Populating all 6 slots will slow down the system. You may not notice it just like you can't notice 1333 and 1866 but it is there. If you benchmark then you will see the difference. What you did is add memory that is being wasted because it is never being used and you slowed it down on top of that. Even if you could get the 12gb to run at 1866 it will still be slower then 6gb running at the same 1866. Again, you can't notice it but it's there and will show in benchmarks. On the plus side if you ever need to run some commercial programs that need that extra memory you will have it.

But what it all comes down to is doing a little here and a little there on the computer. Do the memory,then the cpu,then the HDD and so on. Then at the end of all these little,unnoticable upgrades it adds up to one BIG upgrade. That is when you will notice it without benchmarking

Going SB you wont get the 6 cores but it's a better bang for your buck. If you want a E-CPU they are just around the corner and will sport 8 cores. I would wait for that before getting a 990x.

I plan to buy the Origin Big-O with one soon as they get them. That or go Ivy Bridge. I have about $7300.00 saved up for one. I can't wait to get REAL customer service again lol.

757 Posts

Even though upgrading from 1333 to 1866 wont show any noticeable improvement, I did it anyway. I agree that 6gb of ram is enough, but I also believed that turning off the page file with 6gb's was tempting fate at times. So I installed 12gb of 1866 filling all six slots and they run at stock speeds.

I have had no performance issue using all six slots. All sticks are at 1866 and page filing is turned off. I think the most I have seem of the ram usage was close to but just short of 4 gb's. So I feel better with the excessive buffer.

I had some issues at first with restarts. I solved that by changing the voltage from "automatic" to 1.65v and have had no futher issues.

Morblore, you say upgrading to another i7 isn't worth it. I agree if you plan on a replacement short of the 990x, but the 990x still outperforms the Sandybridge in most applications. I plan on doing this when the price drops a couple of hundred in hopes the computer will last another three years.

431 Posts

yea i would say wait. For the amount of money youll drop you wont see a huge performance increase. You might as well wait, save up a little money and get a rig when the enthusiast sandy bridge comes out (newer,better i7). The 920 is a GREAT processor for overclocking. You can actually go into the BIOS and load "level 1" overclock. It is a safe and proven BUILT IN overclock that will get you to 3.2mhz.  you can go much higher on your own if you want, but that requires more knowledge.  but again, based on what you have now and how much you will spend to upgrade I dont think it will be worth it, especially because of the new chipset coming out earlier next year.

757 Posts

September 22nd, 2011 10:00

Well, when you are done wih your 990x you can send it my way.

I have upgraded to a SSD, the memory, and two 6950's. What I have now should work for me for another three years. The Chip, when the price comes done will help as well.

Just let me know when you no longer need the 990x.

46 Posts

September 22nd, 2011 13:00

For now I went with 12GB memory 1600MHz (3x4GB). I also disabled page file and used “level 1” overclocking, that “kevel1” on its own saves few hundred bucks as oppose to buying next level up CPU. I assume that if have money lying around and decide to buy new CPU that can be overclocked too? I also added HF6970 with 2GB and 600GB WD VelociRaptor hard drive as system drive, I should be good for a while I hope.

46 Posts

September 22nd, 2011 14:00

Running two cards is actually an issue. I tried before two HD6850 and with these cards taking up two lots clearing between cards doesn’t  leave much room for cooling. Also cards I tried had cooling fans right at the end so the secondary card fan was right next to some internal housing with little room to spare for cooling as well.

2.4K Posts

September 22nd, 2011 14:00

Yeah that should be fine for a while. You can also add another 6970 if it's not.

22 Posts

September 30th, 2011 16:00

Do you know if Level 1 overclock would work with 12gbs of ram (3x4gb) pc12800 at 1600mhz? Or would I have to use 1333 mhz ram?

22 Posts

October 1st, 2011 10:00

I have a crazy question. Is it possible to upgrade the aurora to the second gen i7 processors by installing a stock aurora r3 motherboard in there with a second gen i7 and new ram? In doing so would you lose the thermal controls and lights?

No Events found!