Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 15th, 2012 14:00

Aurora Desktop Liquid Cooling Leak

Just recently the liquid cooling system for my i7-920 decided to leak; there's some white residue on a copper panel below the heatsink, and on the gpu.  If I boot up the system it's stable for a few minutes then shuts off, presumably due to the cpu not being properly cooled.  

I was wondering if anyone has run into something similar to this and if it'd be possible for me to place a stock intel cooler over the cpu in lieu of the liquid cooling.  Unfortunately my warranty expired over a year ago, and so I'm not sure how much it'd cost to just send it in for fixing  - if anyone has a cost guestimate that'd be great as well.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 15th, 2012 15:00

Yes, the stock Asetek cooler has leaked on users before.

However, be sure that's not just thermal paste you are seeing ... sometimes they are pretty sloppy with it.

Booting to Dell Diags (outside of Windows) will tell you if the pump and radiator-fan are turning. Yes, if pump is stopped, it only takes a few minutes before thermal shut-down. Verify problem ... could be something else causing shut-downs. Recently, also heard of MIO-Board going so bad they prevent a good pump/rad-fan from turning.

Easiest thing is to replace with stock cooler (so MIO-Board/Command-Center interface will again work).

Yes, you can install stock cooler. However, you will interface directly to MB (like normal computer) or use it's bundled dedicated pump/fan controller and/or software.

Search forum. There are many threads over the years.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 15th, 2012 16:00

Yes, you must clean off old and re-apply thermal paste.

That one is used (bad choice). You already have a used one and you see how that worked out. Get a new one from Dell parts.

However, you really should verify the problem first. Either in Dell Diags or Command Center ... see what is says about the Pump running/turning. Anyone can randomly change parts and hope for the best. Usually a slow and overly-expensive process.

12 Posts

July 15th, 2012 16:00

Thanks

If I were to purchase a replacement cooler such as

www.ebay.com/.../190593840354

would assembly simply consist of screwing/unscrewing and reattaching the two pin connecters, or would I also have to re-apply thermal paste etc.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 15th, 2012 18:00

Ya, selection of the real custom parts is non-existent online. You will have to call Dell Spare Parts 1-800-357-3355 .

If there is still some on there, smear-it-around-even and re-attach. Don't leave it like that forever, but fine for testing.

12 Posts

July 15th, 2012 18:00

Thanks again

Unfortunately I looked around the dell parts website and I wasn't able to find a liquid cooler.  

I'm reluctant to turn it on again, at least for the moment, without applying a new coat of thermal paste, as I had previously removed the heat sink to make sure the cpu wasn't fried / no coolant had leaked to it.  However, I'm fairly certain it's the cooler that's busted; the amount of white residue is excessive and seems to match the description of others who've had leaks.  Similarly, when I was able to keep the machine on for a few minutes the fans would ramp up to jet-engine levels.

12 Posts

July 15th, 2012 22:00

After a quick diag check it turned out to be the the fan/pump that failed. I was wondering, if I were to get a stock Intel 1366 fan/heatsink - turns out to be a few bucks on amazon - could I simply power it using the unused 4 pin 'CPU FAN' near the sys fan pins.  Would there be any notable issues / hurdles installing it; I don't mind losing control center to control the fan, never really used it before, just woud like to know if it'd work

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 16th, 2012 00:00

I've read about people installing aftermarket coolers successfully. How exactly? ... you will have to search and read the post threads.

Also, you might lose more MIO-Board/Command Center functionality that you bargained for. Some of those fan headers are required for proper MIO-Board operation (control of other things).

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 16th, 2012 10:00

If you are sure the Asetek cooler is dead, fine.

However, don't throw it away just yet ... it might still have a purpose in life. Don't change or destroy it. Please put in ziplock bag so you can examine it later (after you get your system up and running).

12 Posts

July 17th, 2012 22:00

On a somewhat different note, there is some coolant residue on the top plate of the mobo's north bridge heatsink.  Since the plate is just metallic / no actual transistors are present, I know this won't pose an immediate problem; however, don't know if it would affect temps at all, so wasn't sure if I need to clean it off.

12 Posts

July 17th, 2012 22:00

- to be clear not actually sure if the heat sink  I spoke of actually has anything to do with north bridge, it's simply the heat sink immediately below the cpu, and above the gpu -

12 Posts

July 18th, 2012 21:00

So the stock intel cooler arrived, managed to score it for a few bucks.  Sadly the securing push pins won't push down to secure the cooler.  As hard as I try, the push pins won't budge down.  I'm not sure if the mobo is specially fitted for the retention ring on the liquid cooling system or what, but I'm probably going to have to bite the bullet and just get a replacement liq. system : \

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 18th, 2012 23:00

Well, I know others have installed (socket 1366) after-market coolers. Not sure what you got there. Be sure you are turning and pushing the pins correctly.

If there is something on the back of the MB, I think you are suppose to remove it because it is really part of the stock liquid cooler.

12 Posts

July 20th, 2012 02:00

Ah, yeah I believe you're correct about a retainer plate on the back of the mobo that's used for the retention ring screws.  Though, I'm not sure how I can reach the back of the mobo without taking the whole thing out, also a semi-bummer.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 20th, 2012 07:00

The other side panel comes off also. Get Service Manual PDF.

No Events found!