Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 28th, 2015 12:00

Aurora R1 Video Card Upgrade Choices

I have what I believe to be the original Aurora (R1), purchased in late 2009 directly from Dell.  I have been having some issues lately with lockups, especially during game play.  I am replacing the power supply due to some other odd lockups, but this is as good a time as any to also upgrade the video card.  The stock card is a Nvidia GeForce GTX 295.  I found a list of cards that will work with my setup on this forum, but they stop at the GeForce GTX590 which is no longer available.  Are there any readily available cards that will work with my motherboard?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 29th, 2015 14:00

Yes, it is the 875W PS.  I have a GTX 295 in there - it takes up two bays, but only has a single PCI-E connector.  Is that considered "double" or "single"?

I believe my MB is PCI-E 2.0 - will a PCI-E 3.0 still work (minus taking advantage of newer features)?

Yes, a single 295 is a single card (it just takes 2 slots ... most nice cards do).
Yes, a PCIe v3.0 card will work fine in a PCIe v2.0 MB.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 29th, 2015 12:00

If your Aurora-R1 has the Dell 875watt Power-Supply, you should be able to install any single AMD or NVidia video card. I recommend a single card due to power and cooling limitations.

2 Posts

November 29th, 2015 14:00

Yes, it is the 875W PS.  I have a GTX 295 in there - it takes up two bays, but only has a single PCI-E connector.  Is that considered "double" or "single"?

I believe my MB is PCI-E 2.0 - will a PCI-E 3.0 still work (minus taking advantage of newer features)?

No Events found!