Highlighted
Jawman5070
1 Copper

Aurora R2 Power Supplies

I own the Aurora R2 (P55).  I am looking to upgrade the power supply from the 525W stock, to something that can handle 2 medium quality graphics cards.  I saw that there is an 875W upgrade that's guaranteed compatible with the harness (so that I don't have to replug and rewire the case, I just plug and play), but I saw a lot of people putting the 1000W-1100W PSU's from the Area-51 series into the Aurora-R2s.  To do this would I have to replace the harness as well? It looks compatible but I wasn't sure if the pins lined up the same way at the connector. Anyone know about this?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
7 Plutonium

Re: Aurora R2 Power Supplies

I am moving this thread to the Alienware Owners Club Forum.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Gallium

Yes the Aurora 525w and 875w use the same harness.

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/p/19495011/20316395.aspx#20316395

I think a "single card solution" works better in the Aurora. Better cooling and no CFx or SLI problems to worry about.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
Jawman5070
1 Copper

Thanks for the prompt replies, Installing the new PSU looks like it would be a breeze if I went with the W299G (875w), Can anyone confirm if the wire harness for the R622G (the 1100W T7500 PSU) is the same for the W299G (875w).  

If I went with the "single card solution" I would be fine with the 875w by far, but If I could keep the 2 cards cool, I would like to have them (especially since they come with Crisis 3/Bioshock) hence my considering the t7500 from the Area-51 series.

0 Kudos