hhibrit
2 Bronze

Re: Aurora R3 Lockups & nVidia Driver problems

Sorry I have been away from forum for a few days. Here is an update.

1. Replaced the unbranded card reader with an Atech unit. This has corrected Renasus USB driver problems. Now able to read UDMA cards over 8 Gb. Shane I had to pay for it.

2. Upgraded nVidia drivers to latest version (280.26 from nVidia) and still had occassional driver not responding/recovered mesages. SLI option has not, as yet, disappeared

3. Uninstalled Alienware Respawn software and I have now gone almost 3 days without error messages or black/blue screen problems, or, random reboots.

I still think ventilation flow to graphics cards is poor. I'll let you you know if there any recurrences.

Thanks for everyone input...really appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Sirrob1
1 Nickel

Same trouble noted on another forum.  User checked thermal pads/paste on GPU's heat sink and found the one with increased temps not to have any paste.  He repasted and fixed the problem.

0 Kudos

hhibrit,

Since removing the Respawn software -
* Is there still a 22 degree (F) difference between upper and lower card?
* Does the SLI option in nVidia control panel still appear and disappear (along with other options) at random?

0 Kudos
hhibrit
2 Bronze

Hi Chris,

Since uninstalling Respawn I have had no lockups, or bluescreens. The SLI option is now visible and has been for 6 days now.

The upper card is running at 82 Celsius (181 F), the lower card is 72 C (161 F). There is a degree or 2 variance in the upper cards temp, the lower is stable.

0 Kudos
dduttonnc
1 Nickel

The problem is 2 fold. 1) Dell shipped out a bad batch of their OEM 560TI cards. I was one of them. I just got my computer yesterday and had to practically yell at a phone tech to get them to ship me a new one. 2) THEY ARE NOT REAL 560TIs!! And this is causing MAJOR havoc with nvidia drivers from their website. These "560 TIs" are really 570s with some of their cores burned out to turn them into what dell/aw is calling a "560TI" WHY dell bothered to do this, I have no idea. If you continue to have issues, get a retail 560TI and send the 560TI back to dell and get some sort of refund

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Alienware Aurora R3 - A"07" (modded*) - 1000W PSU
Intel Core i-7 2600K 3.4Ghz, Turbo mode 4.9Ghz, VID OV @ 20 w/PLL Overclocking Enabled
8GB RAM DDR3 1666Mhz
EVGA nVidia 780 GPU
(2) Dell 30" 2560x1600 Monitors
C: 2TB (2 1TB Raid 0 drives)
😧 12TB (3 4TB Raid 0 drives)
E: 32GB USB 3.0 Thumb Readyboost Drive (yes it REALLY helps until I go pure SSD)
F: 16TB Usb 3.0 Raid 5 backup array box
Windows 8.1 x64

*=Warm boot issues resolved, added support for drives larger than 2-4TB, TRIM SUPPORT, ENABLED ALL UEFI support so to not cause issues with windows 8+ or new gpus, as well as other bug fixes. I have a file called A07.bin, and when my R3 boots up, it reports bios vA07 which are MY mods to the bios. My "A07" is what Dell SHOULD have done with the R3 line. Also with the zip file are updated USB and CHIPSET drivers for Windows that FIX the warm boot lock up. Contact for the files. I will ONLY supply them if your machine is OUT of warranty

0 Kudos
dduttonnc
1 Nickel

Some other issues i ran into is if you put retail cards into the new aurora r3 and try to run 2 video cards, the cables near the base of the case push on one of the GPU fans. I guess dell didn't figure on people putting in a GPU with dual fans (the cable push on the card near the back). So If you run 2 non dell cards, then re route your cables. Overall, I'm very happy with this machine. I have turbo mode up to 4.9Ghz and stable (after 48 hrs of prime95 testing).

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Intel Core i-7 2600K 3.4Ghz, Turbo mode 4.9Ghz, VID OV @ 20 w/PLL Overclocking Enabled
8GB RAM DDR3 1666Mhz
EVGA nVidia 780 GPU
E: 32GB USB 3.0 Thumb Readyboost Drive (yes it REALLY helps until I go pure SSD)
Windows 8.1 x64

*=Warm boot issues resolved, added support for drives larger than 2-4TB, TRIM SUPPORT, ENABLED ALL UEFI support so to not cause issues with windows 8+ or new gpus, as well as other bug fixes. I have a file called A07.bin, and when my R3 boots up, it reports bios vA07 which are MY mods to the bios. My "A07" is what Dell SHOULD have done with the R3 line. Also with the zip file are updated USB and CHIPSET drivers for Windows that FIX the warm boot lock up. Contact for the files. I will ONLY supply them if your machine is OUT of warranty

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Gallium

Since uninstalling Respawn I have had no lockups, or bluescreens. The SLI option is now visible and has been for 6 days now.

Back when the Aurora-R3 first started shipping and lots of people where having BlueScreens and Lockups ... it was reported that some users had success (in making their systems stable again) by clean installing their Win7-64 and then loading on the required Dell drivers.

This makes sense, because Respawn (or Dell Data Safe Local ... or whatever they are calling it these days) does not get re-installed.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
dduttonnc
1 Nickel

@hhibrit: 80+C is a lil hot for your GPUs. I know most people say "keep them under 100," but keeping them under 70 will extend their life. I manually set the GPU fan speeds to 100% when I game, and they never go over 60C. Also manually going into the CC and setting the HDD and PCI (which is really the system fan) to 30-35% will keep things cooler. Anything over 35% tends to get noisy. Plus those fans shouldn't have to go any faster than that unless you have a warm room

8GB RAM DDR3 1666Mhz
EVGA nVidia 780 GPU
Windows 8.1 x64

0 Kudos
hhibrit
2 Bronze

You're quite right about the cables. The 2 GTS 450's were installed by Dell/Alienware as part of the original configuration. I'm a lot happier than I was aweek ago!

0 Kudos
hhibrit
2 Bronze

My EVGA GTS 450 in my Dell XPS runs at 52C even under full load and is slightly overclocked as well! Both computers are in the same room so ambient temp is not an issue. Running the fans at 100% really doesn't improve things much

0 Kudos