Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

March 13th, 2012 06:00

Aurora R3: SSD Boot drive and two Hybrid Drives as RAID0 - How to configure? ... which SATA Ports can i use?

Hello,

i got two HYBRID-Drives as a RAID0 in an AURORA R3.

The Raid0 is configured on the first two SATA - which seems to be the SATA III/600 Ports.

Now i want to upgrade to SSD -SATA III- as Bootdrive - also on SATA III/600 if possible.

Is it possible to have the RAID 0 with one SATA II and one SATA III Port?

Which configuration do i need in the BIOS?

Thank you,

2.4K Posts

March 13th, 2012 07:00

Let me see if I have this right. You want to boot the OS off the SSD on the first SATA III and then run the two hybrids in raid-0 off the 2nd SATA III and a SATA II? It would drop the speed to SATA II for the raid but it should work.

You would go into the BIOS to make sure it's set to raid and to show the raid option screen on boot. Then you hit ctrl-I on the raid screen and follow the prompts. If it was me I would put the SSD on the first SATA III and then the RAID on the 3rd and 4th SATA connections which are both SATA II. That leaves your 2nd SATA III free for upgrading down the road.

4 Posts

March 13th, 2012 08:00

Sounds good, thank you!

So there will be no advatage to mix SATA II/III in a Raid 0?

Ist there any possibility for additional SATA III Ports?

2.4K Posts

March 13th, 2012 10:00

Sounds good, thank you!

So there will be no advatage to mix SATA II/III in a Raid 0?

Ist there any possibility for additional SATA III Ports?

If you mix them it would only be as fast as the slowest connection which is the SATA II. They are SATA II drives so there really is no reason do add a SATA III card. It won't make them any faster.

You would be better off buying another SATA III SSD for raid and even then some people will tell you it's not worth it...thats another argument for another day lol. BTW Intel is coming out with trim support in raid so if you do go that way I would buy the intel drives.

4 Posts

March 14th, 2012 01:00

System is works great: i was even able to keep the old RAID active, did not loose any data.

Ty,

Guido

No Events found!