Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 5th, 2013 09:00

Aurora R3 Top plastic grill

Hey all- I have been looking through alot of posts and can not find the answr yet. Does anyone know how to remove the black plastic mesh looking cover on a R3. I have watched some videos but none are just removing what I want to. I would like to place an additonal exhaust fan up there but attaching it without removing the grill is confusing me.

Any ideas/help would be appreciated.

180 Posts

August 12th, 2013 13:00

Ok, problem solved. If you remove the right side panel (only one screw holding it) and then remove four very small screws (2 on each side) you can remove the mesh top. This will allow people who want to secure a fan easier access to the metel mesh frame for securing the fan.

• 

2.7K Posts

August 5th, 2013 14:00

Is this the part that you want to remove?

0675.Topvent1.jpg

341 Posts

August 5th, 2013 22:00

above link doesnt seem to be working

www.dell.com/.../alienware-aurora-r3

click on service manual and checkout page 60 of 64

341 Posts

ftp.dell.com/.../alienware-aurora-r3_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf

see page 60 of 64 ( Removing the Top Vent )

do let me know if this is what you were looking for ... thanks.

180 Posts

Yes, just that part without having to tear down the whole computer.

180 Posts

August 5th, 2013 23:00

That is very close but requires almost diassembling the entire computer. I mean do I really have to pull the mother board to get the top off? Again the only thing i want to remove is the plastic mesh piece. The instructions you provided were for removing the metal frame and plastic piece as one. I do thank you for the information you provided m_a_rem.

180 Posts

August 5th, 2013 23:00

Well 'i just watched the video again and you have to remove everything to get that cover off....jeez! Any ideas on how to mount another fan up there.

341 Posts

August 6th, 2013 00:00

not sure... what kind of fan are u looking to connect (dimensions/pictures) ?

180 Posts

August 6th, 2013 09:00

Well I am open to suggestions regarding the size and placement. Since I placed a new GTX 770 in, the case temps went up about 4c to around 31. I placed a pci slot blower undet he card and it helped a little. I also placed a Evercool HDD cooler in the two extra 5.25 bays (minus the drives) and it worked to cool the temps to around 27c. I can still feel alot of hot air coming from the top of the case above the cpu (running at 62-64c under load) and would like to evac some of that out. Or get some cooler air in, so again I am open to any fan suggestions.

180 Posts

August 6th, 2013 14:00

Ok, so I was looking again and saw there are four small screws that appear to be holding the piece I want to remove on. Using the info provided by m_a_rem it looks like there is only one screw holding the right side panel on. If i remove the right side and then remove the four little screws, do you think I will be able to get the mesh top off? i just want to securely attach a fan.

• 

2.7K Posts

August 7th, 2013 08:00

Not quite sure if you will be able to remove it without tearing down the system, but you could try it.

180 Posts

August 7th, 2013 10:00

Ok, looks like I will take the sides off and give it a go. I do remeber another post regarding the same piece but can't find it. They said something about only four pins holding it on. I'll post after I try it. Thanks to both of you for your help.

No Events found!