Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 22nd, 2015 11:00

Aurora-R3, Windows 10 not supported, but will function with tweaks

Hello I am wondering if the new windows 10 operating system will work on the Alienware Aurora R3. Other R3 users have gotten windows 8/8.1 to work on the system, so I would think windows 10 would work. Does anyone know if it will work?

3 Posts

August 2nd, 2015 15:00

Hello I am wondering if the new windows 10 operating system will work on the Alienware Aurora R3. Other R3 users have gotten windows 8/8.1 to work on the system, so I would think windows 10 would work. Does anyone know if it will work?

Yea you can, my post wasn't directed at you by the way. You need to babysit the install as well as install some drivers. The link provided in markburv's post gets you running. It's a nice OS we just shouldn't have to go through the trouble to do this to install.

3 Posts

August 2nd, 2015 15:00

Yea I have Windows 10 running on my R3 but thats not the point at hand. The issue is we shouldn't have to do anything like babysit the install or go back and try to find things to make it work. Dell made this system and they should support the thing. We paid money just like the rest, if they get support for their systems then we should too.  It's simple for them to get us new drivers to support a problem free install yet they refuse to just to get us to purchase new hardware. Well thats not happening. Why buy anything from Dell when we have experienced this issue first hand just to have this type of thing come up later on our new machines. Support what you build Dell thats the bottom line.

20 Posts

August 2nd, 2015 16:00

Ok so I got 10 installed on my R3 but one small problem I noticed is that the gpu temperature is kind of high on idle. Msi afterburner says the max I reached on idle is 65% on my GTS 450. Anyone else notice this?

568 Posts

August 3rd, 2015 14:00

All I can remember is that the GTX460 I had originally in Win 7 was idling at 62°, when running a game, it went up to 78°, sure I was worried about the heat and that it may die on me, but I decided to forget about it and let it be as the 400 series were known to have high heating problems.

When the card seemed to have died on me back a few years, I swapped it for a GTX660 MSI Twin Frozr 3. This card idles at 35° in windows 7 and in windows 10.

I suggest you leave the 400 series either now if you are worried about overheating other stuff like disks due to a hot card, or just wait until the card gives up since the disks should be ok up to 50° depending on the model. The 660 is no longer available, though. Remember that the Aurora R3 is only signed by Dell as compatible with 400 and 500 series. I can't say if it can handle the 750 or 750ti, although I do not see why not.

Just a side note, I hated the Afterburner software going back 8 years ago on my previous system, if you want to monitor temperatures without afterburner, download Open Hardware Monitor, you need to add it to a scheduled task triggered by "At logon of user" and with "Run with highest privileges" ticked. It has a nice gadget for monitoring System temps, CPU temps, GPU and disk temps etc.

98 Posts

August 3rd, 2015 19:00

Does anybody else have the fans on boot/reboot high rev 3 to 4 times until you are on desktop and command center has loaded? 

I know on power up on Windows 7 the system would roar once but lights and fans were normal after that first power on high rev.  Windows 10 though it revs 3-4 times until you are logged in and the command center has loaded, it also no does a high rev on shutdown.  Other then these new high rev moments on startup/shutdown everything else seems fine.

20 Posts

August 5th, 2015 11:00

It does the exact same for me. I'm not sure if you can fix it as it may be something to do with the way windows 10 loads drivers but I don't know if you can really fix it.

68 Posts

August 5th, 2015 12:00

Did you uninstall and re install Alienware Command Center after the upgrade to Win 10 ?

Many people had fan problems until they did the above.

98 Posts

August 5th, 2015 13:00

Full uninstall and resintall and it still revs 3-4 times until I'm on desktop.  It also revs one time on the shutdown.  Windows 7 it would only rev once and that was when the power button was pushed to turn on the system.

68 Posts

August 5th, 2015 17:00

As long as it quiets down going from 1 too 3 revs doesn't sound too bad.

Check the power setting when you start up Command Center.

Don't think they would have modified if you just did an upgrade, but see what settings you have on and maybe see it changing one does anything (you can always reset it back later to the original)

Check your temps and fans and if everything seems ok, you should be fine.

Not sure if you installed yet, but I just saw a Win 10 first update around 6 pm EST today....you may want to try that as well. (Mentioned something about Win 10 stability)

20 Posts

August 6th, 2015 12:00

Reinstalling CC didn't work, also I did a clean install of windows 10 (Formatted the hard drive) and it does the revs on startup and shutdown so I don't know if there is a way to fix this.

4 Posts

August 12th, 2015 14:00

I have tried to install win 20 on my R3  "4 times"   Crashed all 4 times and it automatically reinstalled win 7 ultimate but did not reinstall the drivers for usb 3.0

568 Posts

August 18th, 2015 14:00

As long as it quiets down going from 1 too 3 revs doesn't sound too bad.

Agree :)

Before I repaired CC using the uninstaller my fans were blowing 100% until CC loaded and then were stuck at a still very noisy 55%. Now with CC repaired I get 2 or 3 discrete revs before CC loads and 1 just before power off, a huge improvement and very acceptable minor issue compared to Win 7 which had no revs or fans stuck.

7 Posts

August 29th, 2015 06:00

The Windows 10 upgrade will NOT work on an Aurora R3. I have worked 3 times with Microsoft's tech support on this. It locks up at the same place no matter how you attempt the upgrade: over internet, USB memory, CD/DVD. Turning off all but Microsoft's services, dumbing down bios, turning off McAFee, etc. All fail. They claim that this is  a bios/mfg issue as do several tech sites.

I have spent over 15 hours attempting this upgrade,6 of those were with very patient Microsoft techs, ridiculous. I am now waiting for a tier 2 tech to call. However, since this is a known issue, we are at the bottom of the list.

I have succeeded in a clean install but you cannot do a restart, you need to turn off the pc then do a cold boot. I am not spending 199 for the privilege as well as manually reloading all my appsa and files

This is an $1500 pc. You would think Dell would update the bios after bragging about their new line of laptops.

How about some help here, please

568 Posts

August 29th, 2015 13:00

You can try and upgrade as much as you like, it will not work without helping it along.

Upgrade Windows 10 on Aurora R3
Babysit the install after first reboot when the big progress white circle starts, thereafter each time it reboots, Hard power off while the BIOS or RAID stuff is shown. The first time is around 30% after Copying files, the second time is 60/70% after Installing Programs.

Fix Warm Restart Freezes
Install the following drivers:
1. Renesas Integrated USB 3.0, v.2.0.4.0, A00
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=R286402&osCode=W764&fileId=2731116122
2. Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility, v.9.2.0.1015, A00
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=R286402&osCode=W764&fileId=2731115303

Fix Noisy Fans
Go to Programs Unistall Command Center.
When it proposes the choice to Unistall or Repair, choose repair.
Restart and all should be back in order.

Good luck [;)]

7 Posts

August 29th, 2015 14:00

Thanx, I have tried this but iI will try again one more time stopping the restart manually and restarting manually. I will let you know

No Events found!