ggirl1185
1 Copper

RE: How to install windows 8.1 on alienware aurora r3

Jump to solution

I've managed to install by turning it off when it restarts will I have to do this all the time?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
scousetomo
2 Bronze

RE: How to install windows 8.1 on alienware aurora r3

Jump to solution

I have an Aurora R3, and I was able to get both Windows 8 and 8.1 up and running without issue by doing a small bit of legwork.  This was not my own discovery (this was worked out by a different user last year).

What you will ultimately be doing is babysitting your installation and then installing two drivers.

The problem with the R3 is when you go to do a warm boot with 8/8.1.  This never seems to be a problem on a cold boot.  So, when you are installing 8/8.1, you need to watch for when the machine wants to restart.  When it gets to that point where you know its safe to cut the power, hold down the power button until the machine shuts off.  Push the button again to start it up and let the install continue.  Repeat this over and over again until Windows finally finishes installing (like 5 or 6 times... maybe less).

When you finally get it all installed, go and download the following two driver installation packages :

www.dell.com/.../alienware-aurora-r3

and

www.dell.com/.../alienware-aurora-r3

Run both of them fully.  You should be good to go at this point.

I had this same problem a year ago with Windows 8.  I performed these steps and my installation has lasted all this time without any problems. When I decided to go and install 8.1, I was horribly reminded that I was going to need to do extra stuff to get up and going.  I just finished the install and I'm back where I need to be.

Have fun!

0 Kudos