VisualCSharp
1 Copper

RE: Aurora R3 + Windows 8.1 = warm boot freeze issue

Jump to solution

Thanks for the update.

This pretty much solidifies me never buying another Dell PC. They're a commodity low-cost hardware seller now, even for their supposedly top-of-the-line offerings. I'll be building my own PCs with better hardware from now on.

gg, Dell.

0 Kudos
Onicas
1 Copper

Jump to solution

During the upgrade to 8 then 8.1 I had to force shut down at post every time but after the upgrade I installed the USB driver pointed out above and now I can warm reset all I want. Yea it's really annoying that Dell won't fix it but it was a small price for an otherwise great machine now on 8.1 with no other problems. 

0 Kudos
dduttonnc
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

You can also edit the bios to upgrade the intel raid firmware to v11 or v12 to support 4TB , or larger hard drives. Doing that plus new drivers and software solved it.

http://www.win-lite.de/wbb/board208-specials/board281-bios-bios-modding/16658-bios-modding-how-to-up...

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Alienware Aurora R3 - A"07" (modded*) - 1000W PSU
Intel Core i-7 2600K 3.4Ghz, Turbo mode 4.9Ghz, VID OV @ 20 w/PLL Overclocking Enabled
8GB RAM DDR3 1666Mhz
EVGA nVidia 780 GPU
(2) Dell 30" 2560x1600 Monitors
C: 2TB (2 1TB Raid 0 drives)
😧 12TB (3 4TB Raid 0 drives)
E: 32GB USB 3.0 Thumb Readyboost Drive (yes it REALLY helps until I go pure SSD)
F: 16TB Usb 3.0 Raid 5 backup array box
Windows 8.1 x64

*=Warm boot issues resolved, added support for drives larger than 2-4TB, TRIM SUPPORT, ENABLED ALL UEFI support so to not cause issues with windows 8+ or new gpus, as well as other bug fixes. I have a file called A07.bin, and when my R3 boots up, it reports bios vA07 which are MY mods to the bios. My "A07" is what Dell SHOULD have done with the R3 line. Also with the zip file are updated USB and CHIPSET drivers for Windows that FIX the warm boot lock up. Contact for the files. I will ONLY supply them if your machine is OUT of warranty

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

Jump to solution

The issue actually lies in the audio HW... it has to do with something upon a warm boot that the bios doesn't fully reset it... and when you warm boot, you will here some crackle and pop from your speakers.. then it locks.. it even does this on the install, boot, or recovery disc...

Interesting.

I wonder if you have stumbled upon one of the reasons some Aurora R3 has always been unstable (even on Win-7). One was RAM type and config, but this sounds plausable as well.

I wonder if you Disable on-board Sound from BIOS and install a nice (simple, stable) famous-maker PCIe sound-card ... I wonder if that fixes that issue?

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
scousetomo
2 Iron

Jump to solution

i know its a old thread bu ive got a upgrade notification in my toolbar tday to claim a windows 10 upgrade will i need to go threw this messing to get that to run on my r3 ive just upgraded my gcard to a gtx 970 strix will help off a fellow member and that worked no messing any replies i would be gratefull

0 Kudos
KelC
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

I wonder has anybody since tried using a pcie sound card and does this fix all issues with rebooting?  If this is the case that is a great and simple fix to use windows 10, being that they cut support for this computer right after I got the thing it would be nice to get directx 12.

Alienware Aurora-R3 :: Intel Core i5-2500K (6MB Cache) Overclocked Turbo Boost to 3.8GHz :: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz :: Dual 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 SLI Enabled Single 1.5GB DDR5 Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 :: 2TB ( 2x 1TB) SATA II (3Gb/s) 7,200RPM (2 x 32MB Cache) :: Matte Stealth Black Alienware Aurora w/ 875W Multi-GPU Approved PSU :: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, English

0 Kudos
Highlighted
scousetomo
2 Iron

Jump to solution

its deffo a thread id like to keep going because most of us will want win 10 i love win 7 but the future is dx12 for a gamer like myself

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

Jump to solution

I wonder has anybody since tried using a pcie sound card and does this fix all issues with rebooting?  If this is the case that is a great and simple fix to use windows 10, being that they cut support for this computer right after I got the thing it would be nice to get directx 12.

Hopefully someone has tested it by now, or you can ... Creative will be happy at least one person bought a sound-card. [:)] dduttonnc was pretty confident it was broken.

And I still say keep "Win8 Fast Startup" off until everything else is working (one less variable).

Aurora R3 video cards should have "Legacy/UEFI BIOS Switch" on-board just to be safe it's compatible (so it will Post and Boot). Pretty sure it's because R3 is just EFI and not UEFI. But who knows ... Dell never said (and never will) ... this is just an old discontinued machine to them.

I thought Direct X was really just determined by OS and Video card, so should be no problem. However, I would make sure sound-card is compatible with Win10/Dx12 as well (if that's even a thing any more).

Good Luck. I'm all for keeping powerful-enough machines around. Just look at what I still run. [:)]

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
KelC
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

DirectX 12 will sadly be Windows 10 only.  I really wish I could say good things about Dell on their "gaming" systems but I just can't stand a company that ends support on their systems just a few months after purchase and refused to fix compatibility at least on a major OS change "read Windows 8 at the time".  It's really the only big flaw never fixed and they didn't even bother.  They can take $2,000 but they can't give a *** if you can use it. 

Anyways bitterness aside I'm in hopes some kind of community work around will happen for Windows 10, it is a huge step up from all other Windows releases and DirectX 12 alone will improve gaming on PCs.

Alienware Aurora-R3 :: Intel Core i5-2500K (6MB Cache) Overclocked Turbo Boost to 3.8GHz :: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz :: Dual 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 SLI Enabled Single 1.5GB DDR5 Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 :: 2TB ( 2x 1TB) SATA II (3Gb/s) 7,200RPM (2 x 32MB Cache) :: Matte Stealth Black Alienware Aurora w/ 875W Multi-GPU Approved PSU :: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, English

0 Kudos
Beugnen
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

It is a sad state of affairs.

DirectX being Windows 10 or not, Windows 8 and modern video cards generally require UEFI anyway so that rules out the R3.

I'm very happy with my Genesis Origin PC

0 Kudos