scousetomo
2 Iron

RE: Aurora R3 + Windows 8.1 = warm boot freeze issue

Jump to solution

Yes mate all you need to do is if it wants to restart  as it reeboots turn it off at BIOS screen if you get to the windows screen it will hang and you will have to do it all again its just a few steps .when you  are installed and booted up if you reeboot it will hang and that's why you install the 2 files otherwise when you want to reeboot you have to shut down in windows instead of restart  the files take care of this issue I've been running mine for couple of days and its stable so you should be OK

0 Kudos
Dell-SteveB
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

The Alienware Aurora R3 is an older so unit any issue with the model regarding operating systems it did not originally ship with are not likely to be addressed or supported. While this is not an official Dell or Alienware response, it may be helpful to those with the unit who want to get Windows 10 working on it. I've been messing with an Aurora R3 myself recently and Windows 10 will work, sort of, with some considerations.

The Windows upgrade option via that little icon in your task bar? Nope. Mine rolled back to Windows 7 during the install (even though the Wizard said it was compatible). I did a clean reformat and reinstall using a Windows 10 USB key and it worked. It hung a few times during the install but worked. The Upgrade problem could have been the unit or my specific hardware or software, no idea.

Once Windows 10 was running, there were some display resolution issues - the GTX580 was seen by Windows in Device manager but not working properly. Downloading the latest Nvidia and monitor drivers from Nvidia fixed that problem. Other than that, all drivers and updates came from Windows update only.

While the unit was rock solid with Windows 7, with Windows 10, it seems to hang on every other boot consistently. Press and hold the power button to hard shut down and then restart and it'll boot into Windows 10 with no problem every time. Once it's in Windows 10, it seems to work just fine. The one I was using does have a Creative PCIe Sound Card but I have not yet messed with BIOS settings, disabling integrated audio in BIOS or installed any Dell drivers so there may be an easy solution.  

Dell-SteveB
Client Product Strategist | MCTS, MCDST, CompTIA Security+ Certified
Follow me on Twitter: @StevebAtDell
0 Kudos
Highlighted
PatrickMM
1 Copper

Jump to solution

If you have Windows 10 installed on your R3 machine, all you need to do is install the drivers suggested by gmagenheimer earlier in the thread. Worked like a charm on mine. I have zero issues with warm reboots and have been running Windows 10 for over a month now. 

When the insider preview went to the last version before release, I did have to do the manual shutdown when it wanted a reboot and reinstall those drivers. But once I did, everything again worked flawlessly. 

0 Kudos
Dell-SteveB
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

Looks like the Chipset and USB 3.0 drivers were the ticket. So far so good.

Dell-SteveB
Client Product Strategist | MCTS, MCDST, CompTIA Security+ Certified
Follow me on Twitter: @StevebAtDell
0 Kudos
markburv
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks for this, worked a treat for installing windows 10

0 Kudos