Highlighted
wasteoftiamat
1 Nickel

Aurora R3 Windows 8 Support

Jump to solution

Does Dell have any plans to offer any support for Windows 8 for the Aurora R3?  I bought this machine because I was under the impression it would be easy to upgrade.  Not only is it not easy to upgrade, it seems to be the one computer that cannot be upgraded to Windows 8.  There's no logical reason for that, and I really hope Dell has some plan to fix it.

0 Kudos
68 Replies

Re: Aurora R3 Windows 8 Support

Jump to solution

I'm in the same boat as you. I wonder if this just a scheme because we have older models and they want us to upgrade, so they aren't going to support these models that aren't even a year old, just speculating.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

We only support these platforms for Windows 8. no ETA on whether the rest will be later or not.

Alienware-L_Porras
Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
Opening your case and/or replacing parts yourself does not void your warranty!
YouTube Logo Check out our disassemble videos on YouTube
If you need extra assistance please use Facebook Logo Twitter Logo, I can't always reply to PM's

0 Kudos
norm302
1 Copper

Jump to solution

This line is not helping anyone, it's getting people angry.  Dell will obviously support Windows 8 on one of their most desired PCs or no one that owns one will buy another premium machine from Dell.  They need to tell us that they are working on it and estimate an ETA. That is the responsible thing to do, anything less will lead to a social media backlash.

0 Kudos
BlueHawke
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I bought this PC a year ago, for a sum of 2000$ + taxes (refering to the Aurora-R3, of course), and you're now saying to me that you won't support it. Why the <profanity deleted> l would I buy Alienware. supposed to be 'top of the line', if the brand don't even support his product a year later ? With that said, I installed Win8 on my Aurora-3. It boots fine and everything work fine. The only problem  I have with it so far, and I'll have to install a Win7 partition to make sure it's really the upgrade to Win8 that caused it, is that my internet is REALLY slow sometimes. I can normally download at around 5-6 Mb / sec, but since I passed on Win8, I have issue just browsing website because it's really slow.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Agreed! I was stupid enough to buy an Alienware m11x r2 and an Aurora r3 both not “Windows 8” supported… Unless Dell corrects this position - I will never buy another Dell product again.

Btw – future purchase at the very large company I work at as their CIO will also be impacted! Good job Jedi!

0 Kudos
wasteoftiamat
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

With that said, I installed Win8 on my Aurora-3. It boots fine and everything work fine. The only problem  I have with it so far, and I'll have to install a Win7 partition to make sure it's really the upgrade to Win8 that caused it, is that my internet is REALLY slow sometimes. I can normally download at around 5-6 Mb / sec, but since I passed on Win8, I have issue just browsing website because it's really slow.

What did you do to get it installed?  My R3 will freeze whenever I attempt the install.

0 Kudos
P.gazzola
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

The only way to get them to do any thing if you are on payment plan like I am stop all payments

This is ridiculous for them not to support a new version of windows

0 Kudos
Alienware-Luis_
3 Argentium

Jump to solution

Check this out

Alienware Aurora R3 - Windows 8 crash, hangs, freezes

Hope it helps!

Luis Pardo
Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
Opening your case and/or replacing parts yourself does not void your warranty! Check out AW Artificial Intelligence
For US and Canada, if you have any questions about upgrades contact us at alienwareupgrades@dell.com
YouTube Logo Check out our disassemble videos on YouTube | If you need extra assistance please use Facebook Logo Twitter Logo, I can't always reply to PM's

0 Kudos
wasteoftiamat
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thank you for responding!  I will try it tonight.

0 Kudos