Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 30th, 2012 23:00

Aurora R3 Windows 8 Support

Does Dell have any plans to offer any support for Windows 8 for the Aurora R3?  I bought this machine because I was under the impression it would be easy to upgrade.  Not only is it not easy to upgrade, it seems to be the one computer that cannot be upgraded to Windows 8.  There's no logical reason for that, and I really hope Dell has some plan to fix it.

4 Posts

January 13th, 2013 11:00

FOUND THE FIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alienware R3 this has now solved everything and can restart just fine:

This worked and has worked 12 times in a row with no restart issue.

override the current Intel chipset, it appears to be the issue, and run this older one for now:

www.dell.com/.../alienware-aurora-r3

also install this:

This works perfectly... it's a shame that someone from the community was able to give us a fix before the Dell people could.  Further reason for me to never buy another one again.

X1, thank you kindly for the help.

Regards

1 Message

February 17th, 2013 08:00

this really worked i thought i had tried it before, but after i just did it, well running windows 8. my pc  worked just fine though two full restarts. thank you i had all but given up on a fix for the Alienware Aurora-R3.

FOUND THE FIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alienware R3 this has now solved everything and can restart just fine:

This worked and has worked 12 times in a row with no restart issue.

override the current Intel chipset, it appears to be the issue, and run this older one for now:

also install this:

This works perfectly... it's a shame that someone from the community was able to give us a fix before the Dell people could.  Further reason for me to never buy another one again.

X1, thank you kindly for the help.

Regards

October 31st, 2012 00:00

I'm in the same boat as you. I wonder if this just a scheme because we have older models and they want us to upgrade, so they aren't going to support these models that aren't even a year old, just speculating.

October 31st, 2012 10:00

We only support these platforms for Windows 8. no ETA on whether the rest will be later or not.

2 Posts

October 31st, 2012 19:00

This line is not helping anyone, it's getting people angry.  Dell will obviously support Windows 8 on one of their most desired PCs or no one that owns one will buy another premium machine from Dell.  They need to tell us that they are working on it and estimate an ETA. That is the responsible thing to do, anything less will lead to a social media backlash.

2 Posts

November 2nd, 2012 23:00

I bought this PC a year ago, for a sum of 2000$ + taxes (refering to the Aurora-R3, of course), and you're now saying to me that you won't support it. Why the l would I buy Alienware. supposed to be 'top of the line', if the brand don't even support his product a year later ? With that said, I installed Win8 on my Aurora-3. It boots fine and everything work fine. The only problem  I have with it so far, and I'll have to install a Win7 partition to make sure it's really the upgrade to Win8 that caused it, is that my internet is REALLY slow sometimes. I can normally download at around 5-6 Mb / sec, but since I passed on Win8, I have issue just browsing website because it's really slow.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 4th, 2012 18:00

Agreed! I was stupid enough to buy an Alienware m11x r2 and an Aurora r3 both not “Windows 8” supported… Unless Dell corrects this position - I will never buy another Dell product again.

Btw – future purchase at the very large company I work at as their CIO will also be impacted! Good job Jedi!

November 4th, 2012 20:00

With that said, I installed Win8 on my Aurora-3. It boots fine and everything work fine. The only problem  I have with it so far, and I'll have to install a Win7 partition to make sure it's really the upgrade to Win8 that caused it, is that my internet is REALLY slow sometimes. I can normally download at around 5-6 Mb / sec, but since I passed on Win8, I have issue just browsing website because it's really slow.

What did you do to get it installed?  My R3 will freeze whenever I attempt the install.

15 Posts

November 4th, 2012 22:00

The only way to get them to do any thing if you are on payment plan like I am stop all payments

This is ridiculous for them not to support a new version of windows

November 5th, 2012 11:00

November 5th, 2012 20:00

Thank you for responding!  I will try it tonight.

15 Posts

November 5th, 2012 20:00

it only will tell you dell do not support r3 for window 8 would cost dell money to updates there programs there after your money last update for r3 2011

15 Posts

November 5th, 2012 21:00

the answer is simple there as been as mention no update for r 3 since 2011 this is a commercial reason as r 4 came out dell is known NOT to support there older model so you would have to buy a new system. Until the community revolt against dell and demand new upgrade there is no reason for them to do so Sad as i am a dell customer since the late 90's and will no longer trust them best to look at another distributor of PC check before you buy that they have updates there software if not stay away. It not like dell did not have time to make r 3 or any other pc they have compliant with window 8 as it been out for developer for over a year.

4 Posts

November 5th, 2012 21:00

I tried the fix that Luis has provided above, but no such luck.  I'm still getting a freeze upon reboot.  Like several other users I effectively have to boot 1 1/2 times in order to get the OS up.  The initial restart will freeze once I see the windows 8 logo.  I have to physically turn the PC off and back on again.  When it fires up the second time, Windows boots up...totally weird.

I have tried several other options such as messing with the boot order in the bios as others have mentioned, and again no such luck.

Regards

2 Posts

November 6th, 2012 07:00

I finally was able to get mine installed but it was a pain and I don't really know why it worked in the end.  I did the bios update to A06; I updated all the windows 7 updates; I started uninstalling seldom used programs.  At this point, I wiped my backup hdd and tried to install it on that and it crashed a few times but ultimately did work.  So I bought a new primary drive and tried to install it on that and it didn't work for 8 attempts.  So I started disconnecting hardware: my second dvd drive, went back to the original usb mouse, only one hdd. Tried to install the windows7 CD that was included with my system and even that didn't work! Ultimately, with my system down to its core elements, (and my boot order down to 2 drives (dvd and hdd), the darn thing worked.  It did crash a few times during installation, but because it was a clean install it had to keep pushing forward with the windows 8 install, instead of reverting back to win7.  I also did Luis suggestion but only after it was working. 

No Events found!