Highlighted
2 Iron

RE: Aurora R3 upgrades

How did you manage to get 32GB to work on the Aurora R3, I thought that the motherboard only did max 16GB...

Highlighted
2 Bronze

I have the nvidia GTX 670 superclocked installed in my R-3.  Works just fine without any bios updates...just plug and play!

btw, my R-3 has been problem free since I purchased...this machine is the best I ever owned and it performs as advertised.  Thanks, Dell.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Cool, thanks Warhawk. Def no complaints from me on my system. Has worked great since i got it. Finally have money to start getting upgrades. So figured what hell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Zinc

I have upgraded my RAM to 16gb of GSkill 1600mhz and just recently upgraded my video card the GTX 770. Both fired up with no problems. I am running BIOS A05 just for info. On the video card, just make sure your PSU is high enough. If you have the 875W you will have no problems. Good luck!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I have an Early 2011 R3 and Late 2011 R4 and my R3 is a wonderful machine but my R4 has been nothing but loud and troublesome since i got it...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

i want to upgrade my R3 with a HD 7870. Is it comatible with this system?

(bought a r9 270x and is incompatible )

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

It isn't with the stock power supply.  There may also be physical fit issues.  Dell has not validated either card in the R3 so there is no way to guarantee that it will work at all.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Thorium

It isn't with the stock power supply.

Agreed.

While the stock 875w PS is 12v multi-rail ... it should be able to handle (at least) any single card. Just make sure you don't have optional 525w PS.

Also, use some common sense when connecting the video-card power cables to make sure you make use of as many different rails as possible ...

Meaning, with a single card ...

use either P14 OR P15
and also
either P16 OR P17

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Thorium

For either card ...

If they are plain Reference Design and you can flash the card's VideoBIOS (vBIOS) to a Legacy or non-UEFI (non-hybrid) version ... it should work.

This is a work-around but seems to work. Celtics17 figured it out. Also, falls in-line with what we suspected ... that it was a UEFI or SecureBoot issue.

I suspect same work-around is required for similar vintage XPS models.

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19544233.aspx

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Well with my Aurora R3 today I just replaced the single NVidia GTX 590 with a killer GTX 980Ti and it worked ! ... one thing though I researched all those people with the GTX 780 NVidias that didn't work and I suspect they didn't have enough power for that one on the PCIe slot rails i.e. they only got the Aurora R3 with the 500w power supply, I opened up my Aurora R3 and had to remove the power supply and it was a  Dell 875w Silver 80 PSU, there's even some label on the graphics cards cables (6 and 8 pin) which reads something like "these connectors are not active with systems with the 500w power supply". One thing to note if you are using a Dell Monitor U3014 and you are using one of the 3xDisplay Ports on the GTX 780Ti then you have to set the monitor to "DisplayPort 1.2 ENABLED", to do this you have to press the OSD on the monitor AND have it connected to the PC (say via DVI cable).