Alienware General - Read Only

Last reply by 09-27-2014 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Aurora-R4, 8.1 update, Fan Issues

My PCI and Hard drive fans just started running wide open all the time shortly after Windows 8.1 update. They respond to manual control but when on auto they run at 100%. I uninstalled the Command Center Controls, removed the registry keys, rebooted and installed the latest Command Center package from the web and the problem persisted. Thinking it was a Windows 8.1 error I reset to the factory Windows 7 build that originally came on the computer and it seemed to work correctly for a day or so and is now running the fans wide open again. The ePSA diagnostics check out and all the fans past diagnostic testing. All temperature readings say 77 degrees F and it states the cooling pump is running. I'm seeing alot of info about faulty  master I/O boards possibly being the culprit. Anyone have any experience with this issue before I jump through tech support. I work overnights and can't troubleshoot on the phone with a rep until next week.

Aurora R4

I7 3930k

16gb Ram

GTX 660

Intel SSD boot drive

Running updated A09 Bios from the support site and now have Windows 8.1 64Bit back on the system

Replies (88)

waterboy59,

"If you look at that specific program download and check under compatibility it states that the program is compatible with Aurora R4's running MS windows 7 64 bit.".

You are reading that page incorrectly. Think of the compatibilty in two sections.

What systems are compatible with AWCC 3.5?
Aurora-R4, X51-R1, X51-R2

What operating system are compatible with AWCC 3.5?
Windows 7/8/8.1

Social Media Support

#IWork4Dell
Find your Service Tag

I think you must have a different system then the Aurora R4 and using Windows 8.1 . If you look at that specific program download and check under compatibility it states that the program is compatible with Aurora R4's running MS windows 7 64 bit. I have tried installing this program and I have the exact same system as you the Aurora R4 and it is running windows 8.1 and when I tried to install the program it gave me the error message  that it was not compatible with this system. The only system running windows 8.1 that this current version of command center works with is Alienware X51 R2. Until dell make the program compatible for the Aurora R4 series that are running windows 8.1, this download is not a viable solution to the problem. Perhaps they are working on making it compatible, but until then the only alternative would be to download a program that allows you to manually change the fan speeds. Dell does this when a new windows system comes out, they wait for the bugs to be fixed and then usually starts making programs compatible with the new system. If you look at dells newest computers that you can buy you will notice most will still come with windows 7.

New Command center has fixed my lights issue now and the fan problem was already pretty rare since the A10 bios.

I do believe this is fixed now for 8.1!!!

Will try the new command center :)

Just checked my event log. No errors for fast startup

HEY BOGGIE78 THANKS A MILLION IT WORKS! ONE DIFFERENCE IS THEIR IS NO WHITE ON THE COLOR WHEEL???  NO MORE FAN PROBLEMS OR COMMAND CENTER COLOR PROBLEMS   [:D]

Interesting.  Have you checked your Event Log?  I was getting this error since installing Windows 8.1, but until I looked at the Event log I noticed nothing wrong:

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

Also this one:

"Windows failed fast startup with error status 0xC000007B."

Since the A10 BIOS I think is when it quit shutting down noticeably.  The mouse and keyboard lights and functions quit and the video turns off, but the CPU box keeps running forever until I hit the power button if Fast Startup is enabled.

If I disable Fast Startup it has no errors.  The time difference is not huge without Fast Startup with a solid state drive, but it ought to work.

I have installed the new command centre.

All is now working with the auto setting. Fans and lights back to where they should be before 8.1 was installed. DELL seem to have fixed it.

@Don_Canada I also have a solid state drive and Fast Startup is enabled with no problems (so far) with BIOS A9.

Hello,

Sorry for my English : I'l French (nobody is perfect ! )

I got the same problem with my Alien Aurora R4 using Windows 8.1 and A10 BIOS version.
Impossible to set up fans speed by using auto mode. 2 fans running at 100% while temperature are at a low level.(PCI and Hard Drives fans)

I have fixed that problem by uninstalling my 'Command Center' program, downloading the special windows 8.1 'Command Center' here :
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails?driverId=P1K0M

I downloaded the file called App_NT_AWCC305010_W8_W81_W7_Setup_P1K0M_ZPE.exe available since December 2nd 2013.

and I restarted my PC after installing the new Command Center program.

Now, all is OK : Fans are runing with a low speed by using the auto mode.
I hope it will help you.

Community Accepted Solution

Hello,

Sorry for my English : I'm French (nobody is perfect ! )

I got the same problem with my Alien Aurora R4 using Windows 8.1 and BIOS A10
Impossible to set up fans speed by using auto mode. 2 fans running at 100% while temperature wer at a low level.

I have fixed that problem by uninstalling my 'Command Center' program, downloading the special windows 8.1 'Command Center' here :
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails?driverId=P1K0M available since December 2nd, 2013

I downloaded the file called App_NT_AWCC305010_W8_W81_W7_Setup_P1K0M_ZPE.exe

and I restarted my PC after installing the new Command Center program.

Now, all is OK : Fans are runing with a low speed by using the auto mode.
I hope it will help you.

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions