Highlighted
8 Krypton

Aurora R4 BIOS ROM Checksum Failure But Boots 50% of the Time?

About half the times a try to boot it up it does so normally and the other half it doesnt boot but all the lights come on and the fans spin up but nothing is displayed on my monitor and it gives out 1 beep every second or so for BIOS ROM checksum failure (Possible MB failure). It started after Installing Windows 10.

Any help? and why would it only boot half of the time?

0 Kudos
15 Replies

RE: Alienware Aurora R4 Not Booting (Windows 10)

Hello,

It could be a motherboard failure or maybe an issue with the Bios firmware. You could try flashing the Bios firmware to the latest version, click here for the download link. It’s hard to say why it only does it half the time, I suppose it doesn’t always detect a problem.

You can also try running an ePSA/Diagnostics test (click here to view a Dell article that explains how to run the test) on the system. This will test the hardware components in your system, let us know if you receive any errors.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Rodrigo
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

8 Krypton

Thanks for the reply.

I just ran the ePSA test and everything passed.

As for updating the BIOS, I tried doing it a year or so ago and I think it was A07 to A09 or something, but it ended up bricking the motherboard so i had to get it replaced under the warranty.

The current mobo i have has A08 on it. I'm just thinking that if i try to update it, its going to brick again and this time i'm going to have to pay to get it fixed.

And I'm not sure if this helps at all but the failed booting seems to be getting worse. The first time i boot it up in the day it almost always starts normally, but if i restart it i have to try booting it about 5-10 times to get it to boot.

Im thinking of installing windows 8 on it again to see if that might fix the problem at all

0 Kudos

Hi, 

Well if this is a software issue, doing a clean installation of Windows should fix it. You could also use the Alien Respawn software to restore your system to factory settings. Click here for more information on Alien Respawn.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Rodrigo
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

I installed W8 on a new HDD and the problem is still the same. Alien Respawn didn't work either.

If I was to update the bios what happens if during the update when the system restarts, it fails to boot? Wouldnt that brick the mobo again?

Should i go straight from A08 to A11?

And i have the ALX case for the R4 so i still need the R4 bios right? (Just making sure I know 100% before updating it)

And one last thing, could it potentially be from a loose wire or something similar?

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Ive also noticed that a message sometimes pops up whilst the alienware logo is displayed booting into windows

"Warning !!! The previous overclocking had failed.Please enter Setup to configure your system"

Then i press F1 which is labelled as "Run SETUP", but it just takes me into windows. Ive restored default settings in the BIOS and this message still appears.

My R4's CPU and GPU arent overclocked and I just started seeing this message a few days ago.

Also im not sure if this is related to the boot problem or not but Ive started putting the pc to sleep instead of turning it off at night to avoid not being able to boot it, but when i wake it up the following day it has the activate windows watermark at the bottom right.

0 Kudos

RE: Aurora R4 BIOS ROM Checksum Failure But Boots 50% of the Time?

Hi,

Do try to flash the Bios. If it doesn't work, it is most likely a hardware problem. If your system is in warranty, send me a PM with your service tag. I don't believe the activation message for Windows is related to this issue.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Rodrigo
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

RE: Aurora R4 BIOS ROM Checksum Failure But Boots 50% of the Time?

I fixed the problem!

Thanks to Tesla1856 and this post with links to Tesla's posts by Cass-Ole. I flashed the the A11 bios from A08 by creating a bootable usb and updating it from the dos environment. It completed successfully and now I can now boot to windows every time and have no more failed posts with beeps.

So far it seems like the Windows activation message was related to this issue, aswell as the 'The previous overclocking has failed' issue.

The only thing i can think that caused it was when installing Windows 10 it apparently stores the key 'deeper' into the motherboards bios but i'm not sure

8 Krypton

Re: Aurora R4 BIOS ROM Checksum Failure But Boots 50% of the Time?

Aaaaaand its happened again.

I am never buying an Alienware product again.

Although I like the brand, the number of problems I've had with their motherboards is ridiculous.

8 Krypton

Re: Aurora R4 BIOS ROM Checksum Failure But Boots 50% of the Time?

Maybe try same fix. If you can't go forward, maybe a small back-flash, then back to current or final BIOS version. All from DOS boot of course.

Also, check CMOS coin battery or just replace it. If you do it, I suggest a full defaulting of BIOS values after to clear any possible corruption. Then set back the way you want them.

If you are not ready for a new computer, I bet a used Aurora-R4 motherboard is not that much. Just make sure you get a 100% working one and/or with some kind of warranty. With that, you can still use your Win-7 license or get back to Win-10 for free.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos