Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

June 10th, 2017 13:00

Aurora R4 Fan ReRoute + Total Utilization

Hi fellow Aliens,

I am formulating a plan to install several new fans. Most of my fans are around 5 years old and I plan to replace them.

The thing is, Aurora R4 has got several fan headers. Plus, I am getting a 3rd party mobo (ASUS Strix Z270g). However, I have some questions given that my system will now be rich in fan headers.

• I plan to add a 120mm fan to the rear chassis and this should be system fan 1. Yet, I now will have two connection options. I can either plug it to my mobo SYS_FAN header or I can connect it to Aurora's SYS FAN header. Which one should I choose?
  • I also plan to add new heatsink and, related to system fan, which CPU_FAN header should I use? Mobo's or Aurora's?
  • Is it wise to replace the PCI and HDD fans with 78.9 m3/h or 46 cfm fans? I plan to use SSDs and they shouln't be hot. However, I am concerned about GPU (RX 580).
  • I also want to know if voltage matters for fan headers. I choose to use 12 V fans.
  • Since my mobo's fan headers may not all be true PWM, are Alienware fan headers PWM? If they are, I'll connect primary fans to them while non critical ones to my mobo.
  • I also see some Thermal Sensor headers. What are these? Am I obliged to connect them?

Thank you

2 Attachments

June 10th, 2017 17:00

that is a good Question. some People got the Lights to work, while others had some Issues. i'm not even sure if you can install the Command Center or not. if you can't install it, then try an older Version.

but overall your Plan looks good to me. it's not how i would do that, but it should work. go for it.

the CPU Fan should be connected to the Mainboard (CPU_Fan). if you don't do that the Mainboard will complain about it and say "CPU Fan not Found". but the thing is, if you do that, then your Command Center will complain about it.

regarding other Fans. it doesn't matter. if you want to setup the Fan Curve via Asus Bios, then connect the Fans to the Mainboard. which would make more sense, because your CPU fan will be connected to the Board. that way you don't have to use the Command Center. and since you don't have to use the Command Center, you don't need the Sensors.

103 Posts

Wait, without the Command Centers, the lights will cease to work then, am I correct? I plan to add some more fans (especially on the top) and re -route it to the Aurora MIO board. That way, I attempt to fool command centers. Plus, the PCI and HDD fans are still connect to the MIO board.

Chassis and CPU goes to Mobo. Sound like a plan?

103 Posts

June 10th, 2017 18:00

Got it. Thanks for the advice.

No Events found!