Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 4th, 2014 21:00

Aurora R4 Freezes at Windows Starting Fan Issue?

Hello Everyone,

This one has been puzzling me for a couple days. I have an Alienware Aurora R4. It is a couple years old and of course out of warranty. A couple days ago I restarted after some forced Windows Updates. When it came back up it froze at the "Starting Windows" dots (as they flew in before they became the Windows symbol). I tried everything to get it back up. I tried the repair prompt that comes up when your computer isn't turned off properly, it said loading files then went to black and nothing happened. I turned it off and back on multiple time and it wouldn't get any further. I tried using F8 to get the repair your options. They showed up but when trying to "Repair your Computer" it says "Windows is loading files" then the screen is black and nothing happens. When trying to go into Safe Mode it freezes after loading classpnp.sys. I did manage to do a recovery one morning after the PC was off all night. After the reboot it froze again at the "Starting Windows". After trying to get it up for a while, it started just shutting itself off maybe 10 seconds after it started (sometimes less it seemed). That made me think that maybe it is overheating. Especially since if I leave it off and unplugged overnight it starts up in the morning and will log in. I removed the liquid cooling system but didn't dissect it to see if it was clogged like others have mentioned in this forum. When I tried to start it up again, the system loaded Windows just fine (after I accepted the prompt about the CPU fan fail). I turned the system off and plugged the coolant system back into the cord-connections but didn't reinstall it and it froze at the starting windows screen again. I pushed the power button to turn it off, unplugged the 2 connections again, started the pc again and it loaded up fine.

What's causing the issue? Is it multiple issues all at once? Is it some sort of driver that is causing the failure?

Any help would be much appreciated as I want to fix the issue with the cooling system as the jerry-rigged household fan blowing into the tower isn't the best fix (although it seems to be working).

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

December 5th, 2014 06:00

*laughing* I read your post lastnight, you speak perfect English, no doubt, but I can not for the life of me piece together your problem, lol. I gotta head to work. I've got time to say this: I'd start off by taking a spare drive & loading Windows fresh on it. If Windows won't install I'd say you have a problem. I keep a spare tire in my trunk 'case I get a flat on the way there. I keep a spare battery charger in the trunk for winter when I need a jumpstart. You got a high dollar pc? You need to have a spare hard drive for yourself in times like this. If you have one: thumbs up: stick it in there & load Windows. See what happens. This is to test your system. If you have your 32-bit diagnostics ePSA bootable media, run it, do a sys check 1st. If you don't have it, create it off the dell.com drivers page. Go into your bios, make sure your sata controller's set to ahci mode & your hdd's set to be the one to boot from, basic. I'll check back in 10 hours & try to re-read your post, lol. Good luck.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 5th, 2014 15:00

I suggest you follow Cass-Ole's two suggestions. They are 2 of the most important (and commonly over-looked) troubleshooting procedures.

Second, I suggest you make sure your data files are backed up. Sounds like your hard-drive might be going out.

2 Posts

December 5th, 2014 19:00

I just took the liquid cooling system apart and it was clogged up like others have posted about. I'm going to order a new H80i and install that. I'm going to install it with some new thermal paste and see if that helps any. The weird part is it runs fine when it isn't plugged in. If I plug it in after the pc starts up the fans run like crazy.

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

December 6th, 2014 00:00

Your dilemna started w/this anecdote: 'a couple days ago I restarted after some forced Windows Updates. When it came back up it froze at Starting Windows'. Thereafter, I couldn't connect the dots that 'froze up' amounted to a sweltering hot cooler, sorry (wanted to blame Window's upd8's or a screwy hdd).

The fans kick on high as they should; the cpu cooler's malfunctioned, if it is as you say there: cholesterol in the arteries. If you clean it out good, seal it back up good, you should be able to trouble-shoot if it's still required.

You -->"The weird part is it runs fine when it isn't plugged in" Me --> inquiring minds would like to know 'how long it runs fine w/out the cooler plugged in ... about 5 minutes?' lol. Report back &/or give an upd8 after 80i gets there. (& yes, I spelled dilemna w/an n on purpose)

No Events found!