Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

December 20th, 2011 20:00

Aurora R4 GTX 590 SLI

Just Bought the new Aurora R4 had a question about the SLI compability with GTX 590's

• Intel Core i7-3930K (Six Core, 12MB Cache) Overclocked up to 4.1Ghz
  • 16GB Quad Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz
  • 3GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590
  • 1TB SATA 6Gb/s (7,200RPM) 32MB Cache
  • Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, English, w/Media
  • 875W multi-GPU-capable power supply

Is it possible for it to run SLI? Iam ok with buying an extra power supply, anything for the dual gtx 590's.

I want them really bad, if no, please explain.

Thank You For Your Time:)

19 Posts

February 14th, 2012 13:00

I dont know what the hell your talking about, because i have an aurora r4 and it works perfectly with SLI 590 with an upgraded power supply, but the heat is horrible and the water cooling and the active fans cant cool it...... So i was waiting for this system for about a month with 5 delays and i dont believe this system is worth it, im shipping it back to alienware and buying an awesome origin pc computer that supports all of that and doesnt have any heating problems with the same price without any delays watsoever. I dont know about tou guys, but i wouldn't expect alot from alienware. P.S srry for bad spelling, typing on my phone cuz i dont have the aurora anymore :|

19 Posts

February 14th, 2012 13:00

Yeah i did, and for a while it did work, until a started to have heat issues...... But everything changes. Origin pc was really worth it.

20 Posts

February 14th, 2012 19:00

i have installed a water chiller into my system the temp right now is 18c and 26c at load, i am still testing this out ill put a video soon, has far as the 875watt power supply is standard in the 3 and 4 models of the aurora i did the upgrade i am running 1250 power supply with no issues everything is working.

there is no special cable from dell, everything fits, however not all power supplies are created iqual, after trial and error taking trips to local computer store the only power supply that fits is OCZ 1250 fits like a glove.

20 Posts

February 15th, 2012 06:00

Alienware Aurora R3 with;

Powersupply : 1250 watt OCZ Upgrade from 875 watt

Video Card : 2x Nvidia Gtx590 Sli

Water block: 2x EK-FC590 GTX and backplates.

Zalman reserator 1 v2

Chiller : Current 1/10 Model 2635

temp: @Iddle 18,17,18,19.  Gaming full load max 24,26,23,20

I am 5192x2560 Resolution gamming at 4800x2560 on some games :)

Note: Dont bother to call dell they dont know anything about anything, its just a headache with them, One time  I got lucky and  I spoke to someone from Alienware that was a huge difference than talking to a dell rep.

(I had the 6990s in before but the cards are huge and the drivers suck, and i n my case i had to use active display port adapters for each screen since they need it for the screen to work

now i am not using the extra Usb X3 for 3 30 inch monitors.)

Video Link.

http://youtu.be/sHUqK_0nD3I

19 Posts

February 15th, 2012 08:00

We are talking about the r4, but i dont think there is a big difference though.

18 Posts

February 15th, 2012 10:00

How does replacing the power-supply effect our Dell warranty, if at all? I know if we use Dell parts it doesn't effect the warranty, but putting one we purchase elsewhere into the system, does that change things?

I would really like to put both of my 590s into the new system, if it ever gets here, but I don't want to void my warranty either.

18 Posts

February 15th, 2012 12:00

Hmm, nice video Blamster55! It made me notice something I have been overlooking. The R3 and R4 only have two PCI-Express x16. This is quite depressing to me. In my current Area-51, I have 3 PCI-Express x16.

This proves clearly that you should not attempt to run two 590s in your R3/4 unless you are using liquid cooling on the card themselves like Blamster55. Anyone attempting to run two 590s in side-by-side PCI slot is going to run into major heat issues. GeForce specifically states that they need an empty PCI slot between them unless you use liquid cooling. My Area-51 came with two 590s side-by-side and it sounded like a leafblower with the system trying and failing to keep them cool. Fortunately, the Area 51 board has the extra slot allowing the spacing of the cards.

This is yet another major let down for me on the R4. It is coming with only the option of the 875 watt powersupply currently. So I need to get a separate powersupply, waterblocks for both cards, and a chiller to use two 590s. They really didn't engineer this system to meet the current high-end gaming configurations.

Also, I still wonder what putting a store bought powersupply into my R4 will do to my warranty.

20 Posts

February 15th, 2012 13:00

I have one year left on the warranty if a part fails ill call dell and ask them to replace it the part is whats under warranty if you damage the part then its on you. if it fails then they are responsabble for that part.

after warranty anything that does fail ill find it online cheaper than buying  it from dell.

my 2 cents.

if you change the power supply thats fine I dont think it would void the warranty. I could be mistaken, but its just a power supply.

1 Rookie

• 

12 Posts

February 16th, 2012 21:00

Hello. Good night. My Alienware aurora r4 is in production, but I would like upgrade my power supply. Please, can you post or send me dell number part of  your new power supply upgraded. Please.  Thank you!!

20 Posts

February 17th, 2012 06:00

The after market Psu that fits is OCZ 1250 watt power supply.

1 Rookie

• 

12 Posts

February 17th, 2012 08:00

Thank you blamster55. But I would like to know about the power supply from bionil.

20 Posts

February 17th, 2012 12:00

i dont think i have tried that one, reference yourself to the OCZ1250 on the size,  I tried about 5 others besides OCZ1250 to no success what you want to get its a full modular Atx Psu, if your worried about the connections there is nothing special its very standard all the plugs are the same, the only thing different that i noticed on the stock 875psu was that one cable has 1 molex  and that was all and the upgraded Psu have 3 molex, other than that everthing fits.

85 Posts

February 22nd, 2012 11:00

The ocz 1250 watss has a length of 175mm , only 15mm longer than dell stock psu. I checked ans tried and it fita perfectly. But, if u read page 1, and some other threads here, some users claimed they cant use area 51 psu bcouse of the pins for the side window. The answer is no there is no pins on the 875 watt aurora psu. Not sure on the R3 but on the R1 alx there isnt any pins. So if its true the area51 psu has the same physical measurement with aurora psu, it will 100% fits. I believe aurora psu is 160-165 mm length.

And bionil, crossfire of 7970 is cheaper, quieter, performs about the same, , and run way less watt than quad 590s.

Im thinking of selling my 590 and get 2 amd 7970...

No Events found!