Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

December 19th, 2011 13:00

Aurora R4: GTX 590 ... is SLI possible?

Is this system capable of using the GTX 590, with two cards with SLI?

The power supply is listed as 875W, and I don't know if that's sufficient for two cards.

Dell does not offer two 590 in SLI for a new purchase.

No power supply upgrade options are available for a new purchase.

============

Nvidia's website says:   http://www.geforce.com/Optimize/Guides/how-to-build-a-quad-sli-system

Operating a Quad SLI GTX 590 system requires a power supply that has four 8-pin PCI-Express supplementary power connectors, each of which must receive 150 watts. Because of the complexity of designing, building and ensuring that the power supply meets these necessary requirements, NVIDIA works directly with power supply manufacturers to certify their products for Quad SLI use. The list of power supplies certified for use with a Quad SLI GTX 590 configuration is as follows:

• AcBel PC8055-000G 1100W
  • Antec HCP-1200
  • Corsair AX1200
  • Nexus RX-1.1K Gold
  • Silverstone ST1500
  • Thermaltake Toughpower W0171 1500

=============

Dell's power supply may be more robust than a 3rd party PSU, but 875W still seems "iffy" for usability.

=============

This seems like a potential add-on option that would boost wattage availability, but which may not modify the system too much or void Dell's repair service plan:

http://www.amazon.com/450W-Graphics-Power-Supply-Juice/dp/B001AO4O98

450W Graphics Power Supply Juice Box - $56

450W Graphics Power Supply Juice Box

30 Posts

January 11th, 2012 19:00

What kind of psu did you get or what kind of psu do you need to work for R4?

6 Posts

January 11th, 2012 21:00

I have my doubts that he has an R4.

11 Posts

bionil can you show some pics of your set up?

11 Posts

same here. And no heat issues? He might have an A/C next to the PC

431 Posts

January 12th, 2012 06:00

pics please!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 12th, 2012 07:00

* The Aurora-R4 currently ships with an 875W power supply unit (J556T,W299G). A 1KW power supply unit will be made available as an upgrade option at a later time to support SLI or CrossFireX. This never came to pass. My guess is Alienware engineering decided to not validate it. The only power supplies on the R4 parts list are 875w.
* The Aurora-R4 must have any two identical Dell OEM (original equipment manufacturer) video cards mentioned in the list at the bottom. Dell will not support retail video cards in SLI or CrossFireX
* Both cards must be inter-connected using the Dell OEM SLI (RKT14)  or CrossFireX (PJG49) bridge

1643M AMD Radeon HD6950 Cayman Pro
GH3N9 AMD Radeon HD6870 Barts XT
WGP2G Nvidia GTX560 D13U-15
RRM88 Nvidia GTX580
9NK8P Nvidia GTX590 Gemini

30 Posts

January 12th, 2012 08:00

Do you know when this psu will be available? Also you say I can't use market video cards in crossfire? Cause I really wanted to purchase two new xfx 7970s so I can put them in crossfire, but now if that's the case I have to wait for Dell to sell them? Where do I buy Dell oem cards from the dell.com? Lol

30 Posts

Okay so it will work but according to Dell it's not recommended.  I know how to add a gpu in crossfire was just making sure that it would work.

53 Posts

The meaning of "will not SUPPORT retail" is that if you are paying for Dell's onsite/depot repair and support service, and then you find something is wrong with the computer, they will tell you to remove the non-Dell parts, put it back to stock config, and try again. If the stock config works, then your problem is not "their problem".

If you're going to buy an Alienware and start modding the case or putting in different non-Dell parts, then it is stupid to pay Dell for support services that they won't let you use. Take it to Geek Squad or your local teenage repair service for help instead.

36 Posts

January 13th, 2012 13:00

Well I don't know what you guys did, but I just got my Aurora r4 and have gtx 590 working SLI, also installed the new 1. 1 power supply. No heating problems and perfectly working.

How exactly are you defining "no heating issues"? It's a rather subjective statement without some data behind it. Your definition may be that 95C is perfectly fine while I think 70C is a problem. I'm exaggerating here, but for your information to be useful to others (and I don't doubt that you want it to be) please post info like:

"My system runs at xC when under y load for z amount of time. I have it configured with n settings."

Please know that I'm NOT trying to flame you; I just have a serious personal interest like everyone else about our systems, how to improve/fix them, and help others do the same (I happen to be professionally interested as well).

85 Posts

January 25th, 2012 05:00

Dell mobo doesnot support quad sli...so no way u can use 2 gtx 590 (quad).

6 Posts

February 22nd, 2012 12:00

i am so glad I found this site.  I have had my Alienware for a year and 20 days and it never worked as promised.  I am at work now when I get home I got some many questions.  I have to get my specs and link them,  But basically Dell is sending me 590 GTX to replace my 295 GTX for 300.0 dollars, sound fair should it be free?

53 Posts

February 22nd, 2012 15:00

You cant even fit 2 cards in the system, there is NO space.

1 Message

February 29th, 2012 21:00

But now there is a GTX 555 sli?

March 7th, 2012 11:00

It is tight, but 2xGTX580 are in my R4. I can also confirm the initial 875W PSU is not enough when the system goes max loading at system wide performance settings.  At-least, that is my scenario using 2xGTX580, i7-3960x, Mutli SSD HDD, Lights etc etc.

Until we have an officially supported solution (which is indicated by Chris / excellent news and expected) alternatives do exist, including the least perfered choice of keeping total draw within the constraints of the factory supply until a stronger unit shows up. Using very high quality external PSU dedicated to GTX power might work as well in the interim and something I'll be testing in a couple hours.

There is also a VisionTek CD-bay 450W unit supposedly designed to dedicate power, but I've read a deep dive article where under explicit heavy loading it is a fluxuating crap pile I wouldn't trust to run a floppy..

Updated:

Currently using a quality Thermaltake externally, offloading power for 1 of the 580s to it. Wanted to do it this way since it more closely represents a configuration (single 500 series) that can be bought as-is.

Instability due to max system load = gone. Heat, on the other hand, is a different matter but that'll be tackled as anything.

No Events found!