Highlighted
4 Tellurium

Re: Aurora R4: GTX 590 ... is SLI possible?

pics please!

Alienware Aurora

i7 920@3.3ghz

ATi 6950 2GB @6970 Full Unlock

6GB Tri-Channel 1333mhz RAM

2x 500GB Barracuda HDD Raid 1

2x 60GB OCZ VERTEX 2 SSD Raid 0

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

* The Aurora-R4 currently ships with an 875W power supply unit (J556T,W299G). A 1KW power supply unit will be made available as an upgrade option at a later time to support SLI or CrossFireX. This never came to pass. My guess is Alienware engineering decided to not validate it. The only power supplies on the R4 parts list are 875w.
* The Aurora-R4 must have any two identical Dell OEM (original equipment manufacturer) video cards mentioned in the list at the bottom. Dell will not support retail video cards in SLI or CrossFireX
* Both cards must be inter-connected using the Dell OEM SLI (RKT14)  or CrossFireX (PJG49) bridge

1643M AMD Radeon HD6950 Cayman Pro
GH3N9 AMD Radeon HD6870 Barts XT
WGP2G Nvidia GTX560 D13U-15
RRM88 Nvidia GTX580
9NK8P Nvidia GTX590 Gemini

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Do you know when this psu will be available? Also you say I can't use market video cards in crossfire? Cause I really wanted to purchase two new xfx 7970s so I can put them in crossfire, but now if that's the case I have to wait for Dell to sell them? Where do I buy Dell oem cards from the dell.com? Lol
0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

The meaning of "will not SUPPORT retail" is that if you are paying for Dell's onsite/depot repair and support service, and then you find something is wrong with the computer, they will tell you to remove the non-Dell parts, put it back to stock config, and try again. If the stock config works, then your problem is not "their problem".

If you're going to buy an Alienware and start modding the case or putting in different non-Dell parts, then it is stupid to pay Dell for support services that they won't let you use. Take it to Geek Squad or your local teenage repair service for help instead.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Okay so it will work but according to Dell it's not recommended.  I know how to add a gpu in crossfire was just making sure that it would work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

But now there is a GTX 555 sli?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

It is tight, but 2xGTX580 are in my R4. I can also confirm the initial 875W PSU is not enough when the system goes max loading at system wide performance settings.  At-least, that is my scenario using 2xGTX580, i7-3960x, Mutli SSD HDD, Lights etc etc.

Until we have an officially supported solution (which is indicated by Chris / excellent news and expected) alternatives do exist, including the least perfered choice of keeping total draw within the constraints of the factory supply until a stronger unit shows up. Using very high quality external PSU dedicated to GTX power might work as well in the interim and something I'll be testing in a couple hours.

There is also a VisionTek CD-bay 450W unit supposedly designed to dedicate power, but I've read a deep dive article where under explicit heavy loading it is a fluxuating crap pile I wouldn't trust to run a floppy..

Updated:

Currently using a quality Thermaltake externally, offloading power for 1 of the 580s to it. Wanted to do it this way since it more closely represents a configuration (single 500 series) that can be bought as-is.

Instability due to max system load = gone. Heat, on the other hand, is a different matter but that'll be tackled as anything.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

You will not be able to keep the 590's cool in the R4 regardless of the power requirements.  

:: Alienware Aurora Stealth Black :: OCZ ZX 1250W PSU :: Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3  :: Intel i7 3770K :: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 680 SLI :: 8GB Ripjaws X 1866 :: Samsung S23A750D ::

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Yes. 875 cant even handle my xfire 7970, at least. 1000 watt is what we need

0 Kudos
2 Iron

How do you guys change the PSU in the Aurora R4?

Currently I have an Aurora R4 with GTX 590 and the stock 875W PSU.

I'm not planning to use multi-monitor so SLI is not in my consideration.

However, I want to swap my GTX 590 for a GTX 680.

Is it possible and will the current 875W PSU able to handle the GTX 680?

My specs:

i7-3930K 3.9GHz

2x2GB 1600MHz DDR3 rams

1TB SATA HDD

The rest are also standard such as the X79 mobo and water cooling.

0 Kudos