Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2012 08:00

Aurora R4 MIO board/mobo problem and unidentified noise

I have been using my new Aurora R4 for just a week and everything was fine until yesterday: the system was very quiet at first. Yesterday I began to notice a strange noise coming from the inside of the ALX case but I can't say from where precisely. I tried to hold my ear wisely all around the case, both outside and inside, but I can't detect the origin of the noise. It'a low/deep noise, something similar to a 'tension' noise (a sort of prolonged and low 'vuuuum'). I investigated wisely with my ear and CPU fan seems to be OK, graphics card fan too, and all other fans seem to be fine. If I run Thermal Controls everything works fine: the sensors, the temperatures, the pump. Same thing as AlienFX: the lights work and I am able to change them (the only minor problem being they don't appear soon after the boot up but only when the windows desktop has loaded; some days ago, they were appearing just after the boot up during the Bios phase but now they only appear after windows has completely loaded its drivers at the desktop screen; perhaps the reason being that I formatted my hd and removed all previous Dell partitions). But if I put my hear on the right panel of the case I can hear this undefined 'tension' noise with more precision, it seems that it comes from the motherboard being just stuck together with the right panel of the case (i.e. the panel that Dell does not allow to open with the rear metal button) or perhaps it comes from the MIO board which is stuck together with it too. If it was possible to remove that right panel perhaps it would be easier to find the origin of that noise. What could I do in order to resolve that issue? Everything seems to work fine (Thermal controls, fans, pump, AlienFX) but this 'tension' noise does not disappear and it is also noticeable at idle (when not playing nor stressing the system).

P.S. I don't know if this may be related to, but the noise has begun after that I upgraded my Bios from A05 to A06 (and I also removed the battery to reset the CMOS because I wasn't able to overclock after upgrading the Bios to A06 and still I am not. I don't know it the battery removal or the Bios upgrade could be related anyway to the noise).

835 Posts

November 20th, 2012 12:00

Hi Stephenmx,

It seems that you've done a very good job discarding the different components that could be causing the issue, but let's try two more things: 1. Disconnect the computer from the outlet, hold the power button down for 30 seconds and then start it by pressing the emergency button on the power supply (without connecting the computer to the power outlet), and check if you can hear the sound when you do that. 2. Re seat the graphics cards, click on step #7 on the article below, that will provide a direct link to your system's manual, follow the steps on the manual to remove and re insert the graphics cards.

How to Use and Troubleshoot the Alienware Aurora R4

2 Posts

November 20th, 2012 16:00

Thanks  NataliaatAW, I have tried your two suggestions and maybe the first one was very useful to discard something else on the way to resolve my issue. I disconnected the PC from the outlet, held down the power button for 30 seconds and pressed the emergency button soon after: the result was that I could see far less noise than when powering the PC through the standard way. In particular, by powering on through the emergency button I didn't notice any 'tension' noise nor deep/low 'vuuuum'-like noise. So I presume we may discard the psu fan has a part of the problem and investigate elsewhere. As for your second suggestion, I removed and then I reseated the graphics card but when powering on the PC through the standard way (not emergency) the tension noise was still there.

835 Posts

November 23rd, 2012 15:00

Please send us an e-mail to AWsocialmedia@dell.com with your service tag and contact information, it is very important that on that e-mail you include the link to this thread and a brief explanation of the issue that you are experiencing, and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

No Events found!